Splunk Search

How to dedup a combination of two fields and get the count of unique values per host?

mvasquez2

We have devices that generate thousands of a particular entry. I created a daily search to summarize. I combined the src_int and dest_int into a single field labeled interfaces. What my boss wants is to see the total number of events per host, but only unique to the new field. The problem is he also wants to dedup the interfaces field even if the src_int and dest_int are reversed like this:
alt text

Here is the current search:

index=network  sourcetype="cisco:ios*"  (key_word="MAC_MOVE-SP-4-NOTIF" OR key_word="MAC_MOVE-SW1-4-NOTIF") 
|  eval Interfaces = src_int + "," + dest_int |  table host, Interfaces | sort host | dedup Interfaces 

What I need is to somehow dedup the "Interfaces" field even if the 2 fields that make up the eval are reversed. I then need to add a count of unique "Interfaces" entries per host after the dedup.

Thanks!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

index=network  sourcetype="cisco:ios*"  (key_word="MAC_MOVE-SP-4-NOTIF" OR key_word="MAC_MOVE-SW1-4-NOTIF") 
 |  eval Interfaces = mvsort(split(src_int + "," + dest_int,","))| nomv interfaces |  table host, Interfaces | sort host | dedup Interfaces 

mvasquez21
Explorer

Ah. I gotcha. This works though for the count. Thanks so much for your help!

0 Karma

mvasquez21
Explorer

I had tried that but it gives the same total for each line:

Host Interfaces Count
ns-s-972brus-6509c Gi7/37 47
Po246

ns-s-972brus-6509c Gi7/48 47
Po246

ns-s-972brus-6509c Gi4/25 47
Po246

ns-s-972brus-6509c Gi4/23 47
Po246

What I need is the count of the number of events for each pair of interfaces. For this search the total number of events was 47 so I would expect the count for each pair to add up to 47 total.

Thanks!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I should've pointed this one out, after dedup, there will be only 1 entry available for each interface, so I guess you need the count of events what was before the dedup. Try this:

|  eval Interfaces = mvsort(split(src_int + "," + dest_int,","))| nomv interfaces | stats count latest(host) as host by Interfaces | sort host 
0 Karma

mvasquez2

actually it would be the # of events AFTER the dedup

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

|  eval Interfaces = mvsort(split(src_int + "," + dest_int,","))| nomv interfaces |  table host, Interfaces | sort host | dedup Interfaces  | eventstats count 
0 Karma

mvasquez2

OK. Almost there. This is awesome. All I need now is to add a column with the count of the number of events before the dedup.

thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...