Splunk Search

How to create regex that will pick up on a value contained in [ ] brackets?

Splunky21
Explorer

Hi all,

I'm attempting to develop a regex that will pick up on a value contained in [ ] brackets (see below):

Log value

year number time:time:time 00 AAA0 Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah: [X] to [Y] (4 possible variables X,Y,A,B)

I need to alert every time the * to [ bracketed value] changes. Trying to make a regex to pick out these bracketed values. Any help is appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this command to extract both values within brackets.

| rex "\[(?<bracket1>[^\]]+)\] to \[(?<bracket2>[^\]]+)"

It looks for the first bracket, extracts everything up to the second into field 'bracket1', then it looks for a closing bracket followed by " to " and a third bracket.  Everything up to the fourth bracket is put into field 'bracket2'.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this command to extract both values within brackets.

| rex "\[(?<bracket1>[^\]]+)\] to \[(?<bracket2>[^\]]+)"

It looks for the first bracket, extracts everything up to the second into field 'bracket1', then it looks for a closing bracket followed by " to " and a third bracket.  Everything up to the fourth bracket is put into field 'bracket2'.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Splunky21
Explorer

That worked perfectly, thanks! 🙂 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...