Splunk Search

How to create an alert if there are more than 5 login_id(s) associated to any unique sourceIP

Log_wrangler
Builder

I have an app behind a WAF, and I am looking at the WAF logs to see how many unique login IDs are coming from a single sourceIP.

so far I have

index=WAF sourcetype=waf_log  passed AND login | stats values(login_id) by sourceIP

Before the pipe "passed" and "login" criteria provide me with all interesting logs that contain a login_id and a sourceIP.

The challenge is finding the best way to list all IP(s) associated with a login_id, OR all the login_ids associated with a sourceIP, for the last 30 days.

Is there a better way to write this?

Ideally, I would like to create an alert if there are more than 5 login_id(s) associated to any unique sourceIP.

Thank you

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@Log_wrangler, when you are using values(login_id), you are trying to look at unique login_ids aggregated by sourceIP. So you can use dc(login_id) count of unique login ids for the sourceIP

index=WAF sourcetype=waf_log  passed AND login 
| stats  dc(login_id) as uniqueLoginCount values(login_id) uniqueLoginIDs by sourceIP
| where uniqueLoginCount > 5

PS: list() will give you all occurrences of login_ids (including duplicates) for the same sourceIP, however, it will be restricted to first 100 matches. If you have less than 100 total logins per sourceIP, you can use count(login_id) and list(login_id). If you may have more than 100 total logins per sourceIP, you might have to use streamstats.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@Log_wrangler, when you are using values(login_id), you are trying to look at unique login_ids aggregated by sourceIP. So you can use dc(login_id) count of unique login ids for the sourceIP

index=WAF sourcetype=waf_log  passed AND login 
| stats  dc(login_id) as uniqueLoginCount values(login_id) uniqueLoginIDs by sourceIP
| where uniqueLoginCount > 5

PS: list() will give you all occurrences of login_ids (including duplicates) for the same sourceIP, however, it will be restricted to first 100 matches. If you have less than 100 total logins per sourceIP, you can use count(login_id) and list(login_id). If you may have more than 100 total logins per sourceIP, you might have to use streamstats.

wildcats12
Explorer

This seems like a good start for what you're trying to do. If you were to rename the 'values(login_id)' field that gets produced by this to something like 'id_list', you could filter down to only IPs with 5+ login_id(s) with:
| where mvcount(id_list) > 5

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Registration for Splunk University is Now Open!

Are you ready for an adventure in learning?   Brace yourselves because Splunk University is back, and it's ...

Splunkbase | Splunk Dashboard Examples App for SimpleXML End of Life

The Splunk Dashboard Examples App for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 19, 2024, after which no new ...

Understanding Generative AI Techniques and Their Application in Cybersecurity

Watch On-Demand Artificial intelligence is the talk of the town nowadays, with industries of all kinds ...