Splunk Search

How to create a timeline of unique events using field and group by date field?

jdepp
Path Finder

I would like to create a timeline chart panel that displays the distinct count of events based on some field and then groups the timeline based on a string datetime field. I think I have it but need to confirm this is the right and best way.

sourcetype="data.stats" | where message_type="Check" | convert timeformat="%Y-%m-%d" ctime(pdate) AS date | timechart dc(check_id) by date

I think it's right but not sure as it does resemble this panel which would be correct if the date field corresponded to the current datetime.

sourcetype="data.stats" | where message_type="Check" | timechart dc(check_id)

Appreciate help on this.

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@jdepp - Did one of the answers below help provide a solution your question? If yes, please click “Accept” below the best answer to resolve this post and upvote anything that was helpful. If no, please leave a comment with more feedback. Thanks.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I think something like this would work for you. The timechart axis will be based on values of field pdate.

sourcetype="data.stats" | where message_type="Check" | eval _time=strptime(pdate,"%Y-%m-%d") | timechart dc(check_id) as check_id_count
0 Karma

kmccririe_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Instead of using timechart you can use the chart command instead.

... | timechart span=s f(x) by y

is essentially the same as

... | chart f(x) by _time span=s, y

see this answer https://answers.splunk.com/answers/9730/using-a-different-time-base-on-timechart.html.

So with that maybe you could try this

sourcetype="data.stats" | where message_type="Check" | convert timeformat="%Y-%m-%d" ctime(pdate) AS date | chart dc(check_id) by date span=1m

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...