Splunk Search

How to create a table with months along with two other types of data summed?

larswu

I would like to create a table out of a search with months (date_month) on the first column, then the sum of all unique website cart numbers (ODE_CART_NUMBER) in the next column, then the third column would be a sum of all of the files associated with all of the carts in each month (file).

The table would look like this:

Month              #of Carts                Total Files 
Jan                     12                            150
Feb                     27                           265
March               16                             200

I'm still getting to know Splunk. I tried a few variations of piping tables and sums but I cannot get it to give me what I want. My current base search is below. I created a custom field to extract the ODE_CART_NUMBER field

host="ASPERA-2" op="send" status="success"
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kmaron
Motivator
| stats dc(ODE_CART_NUMBER) as "#of Carts" count(file) as "Files" by date_month

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be able to do that with the stats command. I used the sum function because that's the term used in the question, but you may want to use count, instead.

... | stats sum(ODE_CART_NUMBER) sum(file) by date_month
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator
| stats dc(ODE_CART_NUMBER) as "#of Carts" count(file) as "Files" by date_month
0 Karma

larswu

That works, now how would I sort the table by year and then by month?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try like this

host="ASPERA-2" op="send" status="success"
| timechart span=1mon dc(ODE_CART_NUMBER) as "#of Carts" count(file) as "Files" 
| rename COMMENT as "Comment only, remove this line. Above line will automatically sort the ouput in ascending order of time. Next just get your formatted year/month"
| eval Year=strftime(_time,"%Y") | eval Month=strftime(_time,"%B") 
| table Year Month  "#of Carts"  "Files" 
0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

just a straight sort would be

| sort date_year date_month   

for ascending
or

| sort - date_year - date_month   

for descending

If you want the months in chronological order instead of alphabetical order you'll need to do some finagling with assigning numbers to the months. I liked another answers post in the previous comment that can help you with that.

0 Karma

larswu

That's great! Would it be possible to add the year (date_year) as a column and then sort by year and then month?

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

yup just add it to the 'by'

| stats dc(ODE_CART_NUMBER) as "#of Carts" count(file) as "Files" by date_month date_year
0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

now when you sort it's going to sort your months in alphabetical order. If you don't want that you should check out this post that helps fix that: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/170706/how-to-sort-data-in-chronological-order-by-month-n.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...