Splunk Search

How to create a search lookup macro to output enriching field names appended to passed matching field name

jc28187
Engager

I'm trying to create a search macro which accepts a field to match on and enriches the results with matches and outputs those enriching fields appending the matching value's matching field name as the new field names.

For example:

`my_macro(sourceAddress)`

Should output the following field names (if it matches):

sourceAddress_WHOIS
sourceAddress_Severity
sourceAddress_lastCheck

Where WHOIS, Severity, and lastCheck are field names in the lookup table.

This should also exhibit the same behavior, dynamically, for `my_macro(destinationAddress)`:

destinationAddress_WHOIS
destinationAddress_Severity
destinationAddress_lastCheck

This macro may be called multiple times against multiple field names in a single search.  destinationAddress, sourceAddress, clientAddress, proxyAddress, and more are all potential field names in the searches this macro would be used for and multiple combinations of each can potentially exist in each result.  I'd like to be able to clearly see which fields were enriched by the lookup table, if enrichment occurred.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| lookup lookup_address.csv address as $address_field$ output WHOIS as $address_field$_WHOIS Severity as $address_field$_Severity lastCheck as $address_field$_lastCheck

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| lookup lookup_address.csv address as $address_field$ output WHOIS as $address_field$_WHOIS Severity as $address_field$_Severity lastCheck as $address_field$_lastCheck

jc28187
Engager

I had to remove the preceding pipe in the macro definition and this solution worked just fine.

I was trying to over-engineer something using evals to generate field names in values and then use those values to create the field names then use "field -" to remove the fields generated by the lookup after the values were copied to the new eval'd fields...  It was a circus.

Thank you for helping me tame it.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jc28187 - Use this (what is provided by @ITWhisperer ) as definition of macro.

* Use address_field in the args.

* Use my_macro(1) as the name of the macro.

Your macros.conf entry would look something like this if you are adding macro from the backend:

[my_macro(1)]
definition = | lookup lookup_address.csv address as $address_field$ output WHOIS as $address_field$_WHOIS Severity as $address_field$_Severity lastCheck as $address_field$_lastCheck
args = address_field

I hope this helps!! Upvote would be appreciated!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...