Splunk Search

How to create Timechart when no splitby available?

dvg06
Path Finder

Hi Splunkers

Need some help with a timechart query please.

index=linux host IN (a,b,c,d,e) | timechart span=1week eval(avg(CPU) * avg(MEM)) BY host

This works well if there is atleast an event per host. But I wanted to show zero value when there are no events for a particular host. Is that possible?

eg: I have events only for a,b,c but still wanted to show zero for d and e hosts. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a very common question - there is no data in Splunk for d and e, so you need to tell Splunk that you want information about hosts it does not know about.

The most normal way to do this is to create a lookup with your (5?) hosts in, e.g. my_hosts.csv

host
a
b
c
d
e

then do your search

index=linux [ | inputlookup my_hosts.csv ]
| timechart span=1week eval(avg(CPU) * avg(MEM)) BY host
| appendcols [ 
  | inputlookup append=t my_hosts.csv
  | eval {host}=0
  | fields - host
  | stats max(*) as * 
]
| filldown

which will make the time chart and then add columns for each of the missing hosts

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a very common question - there is no data in Splunk for d and e, so you need to tell Splunk that you want information about hosts it does not know about.

The most normal way to do this is to create a lookup with your (5?) hosts in, e.g. my_hosts.csv

host
a
b
c
d
e

then do your search

index=linux [ | inputlookup my_hosts.csv ]
| timechart span=1week eval(avg(CPU) * avg(MEM)) BY host
| appendcols [ 
  | inputlookup append=t my_hosts.csv
  | eval {host}=0
  | fields - host
  | stats max(*) as * 
]
| filldown

which will make the time chart and then add columns for each of the missing hosts

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...