Splunk Search

How to convert multiple fieldname=fieldvalue entries into category=fieldname, value=fieldvalue pairs for timechart

alange
Explorer

I have data where each row contains a timestamp and a set of fieldname=fieldvalue entries. I want to convert selected fieldnames from each row into multiple rows each with timestamp, category=fieldname, value=fieldvalue.

Source data

2014-05-19 10:00 first_field=1 second_field=1 third_field=2 other=5
2014-05-19 10:10 first_field=2 second_field=1 third_field=3 ignore=foo

If I want first_field, second_field, and third_value, I want the output to be something like

2014-05-19 10:00 category=first_field value=1
2014-05-19 10:00 category=second_field value=1
2014-05-19 10:00 category=third_field value=2
2014-05-19 10:10 category=first_field value=2
2014-05-19 10:10 category=second_field value=1
2014-05-19 10:10 category=third_field value=3

I want to run the final data through | timechart avg(value) by category (or other stats function) to look at multiple categories at once. Data will be "clean" in that ranges for different categories extracted at once will be compatible.

I know I've seen this done, but can't find the right keywords to search on to (re-)discover the examples.

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

assuming your initial results have fields that are _time first_field second_field third_field then you want

| untable _time category count | rename count as value

and that will unwind the results you have into the results that have fields of _time category value, just like you need.

The untable command is basically the inverse of the xyseries command. To really understand these two commands it helps to play around a little with the stats command vs the chart command. Take these two searches:

index=_internal group=per_sourcetype_thruput | stats count by date_hour series

vs

index=_internal group=per_sourcetype_thruput | chart count over date_hour by series

They look very similar and in fact they present the same information but in very different formats. Run them both and think about them.

Now, you can turn the first resultset into the second by appending | xyseries date_hour series count, and you can turn the second resultset into the first by appending | untable date_hour series count

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Xyseries

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Untable

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

assuming your initial results have fields that are _time first_field second_field third_field then you want

and that will unwind the results you have into the results that have fields of _time category value, just like you need.

The untable command is basically the inverse of the xyseries command. To really understand these two commands it helps to play around a little with the stats command vs the chart command. Take these two searches:

index=_internal group=per_sourcetype_thruput | stats count by date_hour series

vs

index=_internal group=per_sourcetype_thruput | chart count over date_hour by series

They look very similar and in fact they present the same information but in very different formats. Run them both and think about them.

Now, you can turn the first resultset into the second by appending | xyseries date_hour series count, and you can turn the second resultset into the first by appending | untable date_hour series count

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Xyseries

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Untable

alange
Explorer

That was what I needed. As an example (to make sure I could do what I want) I offer the following which displays min, avg, max as three lines on a graph:

index=_internal group=per_sourcetype_thruput series=access_combined
| bucket _time span=10m
| stats min(kbps) as min avg(kbps) as avg max(kbps) as max by _time
| timechart span=10m avg(value) by category

With appropriate use of fields/table/stats and rename before the untable/rename, I can choose exactly what to show in the by split of the timechart.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...