Splunk Search

How to convert microseconds to date time unit in Splunk?

johnbernal553

I have a log event like this:

Timestamp: 1477292160453180 537

The number 1477292160453180 is the number of microseconds since the Epoch: 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 (UTC). Which in this case comes out to January 1, 2016.

How do I perform this conversion from microseconds to a time unit in Splunk? Here's my current search:

* | rex field=_raw "Timestamp:\s(?<request_time>\d+)\s(?<response_time>\d+)" | eval stripped_time=strptime(request_time,"%s%3N")

But that's giving me a table of weirdly formatted stripped_time values.

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure 1477292160453180 is milliseconds and not microseconds?
In any case, try the following instead:

| rex field=_raw "Timestamp:\s(?<request_time_secs>\d+)(?<request_time_microsecs>\d{6})\s(?<response_time>\d+)" 
| eval request_time = toNumber(request_time_secs + "." + request_time_microsecs)
| fieldformat request_time = strftime(request_time, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N")
| eval _time = request_time

Example:

| stats count | fields - count
| eval request_time = 1477292160453180
| rex field=request_time "(?<request_time_secs>\d+)(?<request_time_microsecs>\d{6})"
| eval request_time = toNumber(request_time_secs + "." + request_time_microsecs)

Output (see picture below):

alt text

View solution in original post

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure 1477292160453180 is milliseconds and not microseconds?
In any case, try the following instead:

| rex field=_raw "Timestamp:\s(?<request_time_secs>\d+)(?<request_time_microsecs>\d{6})\s(?<response_time>\d+)" 

Example:

| stats count | fields - count
| eval request_time = 1477292160453180
| rex field=request_time "(?<request_time_secs>\d+)(?<request_time_microsecs>\d{6})"

Output (see picture below):

alt text

johnbernal553

This worked perfectly. And yes it was microseconds and not milliseconds. Thank you!

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer
* | rex "Timestamp:\s(?<request_time>\d+)\s(?<response_time>\d+)" | eval stripped_time=strftime(request_time/1000,"%Y-%m-%d %T %z")

EDIT: Based on other comments:

* | rex "Timestamp:\s(?<request_time>\d+)\s(?<response_time>\d+)" | eval _time=request_time/1000 | timechart ...

rjthibod
Champion

beat me to it 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi johnbernal553,
what do you want as outputs: an epoch time or an human readable format?
with strptime you have an epochtime, to have an human readable time you must use strpftime.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

johnbernal553

But this isn't formatting the x-axis properly. Basically I want to have the days as a continuous timeline on the x-axis and the response times on the y-axis, which is the 537 in this case. So that I can see the response times of my application in the past X days.

0 Karma

johnbernal553

I want to convert the milliseconds to a human readable date so that I can do ... | eval _time=stripped_time | timechart...

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

_time is not human readable, it's just that Splunk will make it so when you use it in a table. What you want is the _time field in epoch. ... | eval _time=request_time/1000 | timechart ...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...