Splunk Search

How to convert field date into week values?

ranjitbrhm1
Communicator

Good Day all, I have a query, I am uploading a CSV regularly onto splunk. Since its uploaded in a random time, splunk time does not apply here. The CSV actually have a field which has all the dates in them in DD-MM-YYYY format. My intention is to make a dashboard which is able to filter based on weeks 1-4 for events. Is there a method to determine what week the dates fall under i.e 4/01/2017 falls to week one, 10/4/2017 falls in week 2 etc? I know it might be a long shot, but is this a possibility?

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

First convert the date field to a timestamp, by parsing it using strptime, then translate that into a string containing the weeknumber using strftime. There are multiple different weeknumber standards, so replace %V with the correct one for your needs (see http://php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php for details).

| eval weeknum=strftime(strptime(yourdatefield,"%d-%m-%Y"),"%V")

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

First convert the date field to a timestamp, by parsing it using strptime, then translate that into a string containing the weeknumber using strftime. There are multiple different weeknumber standards, so replace %V with the correct one for your needs (see http://php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php for details).

| eval weeknum=strftime(strptime(yourdatefield,"%d-%m-%Y"),"%V")

ranjitbrhm1
Communicator

175% correct answer. Thanks for the link as well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...