I'm trying to configure a time-based lookup (temporal lookup) but it doesn't seem to be working as expected. Any advice would be great. Thanks! I'm using the
Expiration field to configure time-based lookups.
1) I've tried with and without the
2) Table and definitions Permissions are set to App.
3) The definitions fields are:
transforms.conf is on the SH
transforms.conf [ICA_Definitions] batch_index_query = 0 case_sensitive_match = 1 filename = 2018_ICA_Certs.csv time_field = **Expiration** time_format = %m/%d/%Y %H:%M max_offset_secs = 10 min_offset_secs = 0
The temporal lookups in splunk assume that the timestamp is the earliest time that the lookup is valid (+/- the offsetsecs):
max_offset_secs = <integer> * For temporal lookups, this is the maximum time (in seconds) that the event timestamp can be later than the lookup entry time for a match to occur. * Default is 2000000000 (no maximum, effectively). min_offset_secs = <integer> * For temporal lookups, this is the minimum time (in seconds) that the event timestamp can be later than the lookup entry timestamp for a match to occur. * Defaults to 0.
Is it possible (based on the name of your field being
Expiration) that you expect the opposite to be true (that the lookup is before until the timefield, not after it)?
Thank you for the response. I've went ahead just tested a few different variations of the settings...
max=10/min=0, max=0/min=10,max/min=5, etc and adjusted the timepicker to a specific date and time with +/- 1 second ... still no luck. I still see all table results.
I search for the 01/06/2017 5:13 line item with a timepicker between 01/06/2017 5:12 and 01/06/2017 5:14 while updating the transforms.conf for different min/max settings. I also tried ... | extract reload=T and a reboot.
I ended up scrapping the lookup-table portion of the project and just uploaded the .csv into a new index. During the add-data wizard it found the expiration field and automatically mapped it. I corrected the timestamp pattern and now the timepicker is working for future and past timeframes.
The project was to track expiring ICA certificates
I exported a years worth of Internal Certificate Authority (ICA) expiring certificates and imported them into Splunk.
certutil -view -restrict "notAfter>=1/01/2018,notAfter<=2/01/2018" -out "Issued Common Name,Issued Organization,Certificate Expiration Date,Issued Email Address" >> 2018_jan
certutil -view -restrict "notAfter>=2/01/2018,notAfter<=3/01/2018" -out "Issued Common Name,Issued Organization,Certificate Expiration Date,Issued Email Address" >> 2018_feb
After looking at @rewritex's comments, I'm posting this new answer.
Lookups, even time-based lookups, don't (by default) enable searching by using the timepicker. Instead they are intended for a use case like the following:
start_time,host,purpose 2018-02-01,host01,all-in-one 2018-02-02,host01,searchhead 2018-02-02,host02,indexer 2018-02-03,host02,ageout-indexer 2018-02-03,host03,cluster-master 2018-02-04,host04,indexer 2018-02-04,host05,indexer 2018-02-04,host06,indexer 2018-02-05,host02,monitoring-console
[server_purposes] filename = server_purposes.csv time_field = start_time time_format = %Y-%m-%d
| makeresults | eval host="host02", _time=strptime("2018-02-04", "%Y-%m-%d") | lookup server_purposes host
However, if you have a time in your lookup file, you can somewhat fake what you may be looking for with a search like:
| inputlookup server_purposes | eval _time=strptime(start_time, "%Y-%m-%d") | addinfo | where _time>=info_min_time and _time<info_max_time
addinfo command adds your earliest/latest times as chosen by the timepicker and puts them in the fields
info_max_time, after which you can use the
where command to search for
_time values within that range.