Splunk Search

How to compare splunk ingestion volume?

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I'm looking for a query to compare Splunk ingestion volume between the current date and a week ago i.e compare today's ingestion volume with exact same day a week ago and get the % difference. Please let me know if there are any queries available preferably with REST Services.Thanks

Labels (4)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

I tried this but interestingly 7days ago im getting 10x more values than yesterday data, can you please re-look into this @schose 

0 Karma

schose
Builder

hi,

you can try to verify using license usage:

index=_internal source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/license_usage.log" sourcetype=splunkd earliest=-7d@d latest=-6d@d 
| stats sum(b) as lic_7d 
| append 
    [ search index=_internal source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/license_usage.log" sourcetype=splunkd earliest=-1d@d latest=-0d@d 
    | stats sum(b) as lic_yesterday
        ]
| stats values(*) as *
| eval pct=round((lic_yesterday/lic_7d)*100)

license usage is also a good indicator for ingest - could be just misleading if you are doing a lot of metric conversion.. 

0 Karma

schose
Builder

Hi,

i guess i would use splunkd metrics for that :

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log" "group=thruput" "name=index_thruput" instantaneous_kbps earliest=-7d@d latest=-6d@d | stats sum(instantaneous_kbps) as ingest_pipe_instantaneous_kbps by ingest_pipe host | stats sum(ingest_pipe_instantaneous_kbps) as total_7d_ago by host
| append [
search index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log" "group=thruput" "name=index_thruput" instantaneous_kbps earliest=-1d@d latest=-0d@d | stats sum(instantaneous_kbps) as ingest_pipe_instantaneous_kbps by ingest_pipe host | stats sum(ingest_pipe_instantaneous_kbps) as total_yesterday by host
]
| stats values(*) as * by host
| eval pct=round((total_yesterday/total_7d_ago)*100,1)

in this example we calculate the sum of instantaneous_kbs per indexer per ingest_pipeline 7 days ago and compare it to yesterday. you might want to adjust times.. 

best regards,

Andreas

0 Karma

schose
Builder

the cheaper way is to use _metrics index

| mstats sum("spl.mlog.thruput.thruput.instantaneous_kbps") as total_7d_ago WHERE "index"="_metrics" earliest=-7d@d latest=-6d@d host=INDEXER BY host
| append
[
| mstats sum("spl.mlog.thruput.thruput.instantaneous_kbps") as total_yesterday WHERE "index"="_metrics" earliest=-1d@d latest=-0d@d host=INDEXER BY host
]
| stats values(*) as * by host
| eval pct=round((total_yesterday/total_7d_ago)*100,1)

you have to place you indexers with or in where part.

regards,

Andreas

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...