Splunk Search

How to compare multiple fields?

Kwip
Contributor

Hi All,
I want to compare three fields value(may be) to arrive at new field. (mentioned 3 as it may require to compare the actual start time with expected start time and current time)

I am having some fields from my look up. Job_Name and expected_start_time. And I am calculating the actual_start_time from the search query result.

So I want to create a new field like Status which tells me whether the job started on time or it is delayed or Expected start time not yet arrived.

Below is the sample output i am looking for. Consider the current time is 13:10

Job_Name Expected_start_time Actual_Start_Time Status
1a         08.30              10.00             Late start
1b         10.00              09:00             Started Earlier 
1c         13:00              --                Not yet started on the expected start time
1d         18:00              --                Waiting for the expected start time
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming you've done the lookup to get fields Job_Name Expected_start_time and Actual_Start_Time in your search results, try something like this

your current search giving fields  Job_Name Expected_start_time and Actual_Start_Time
| eval epochExpected=strptime(Expected_start_time,"%H:%M") | eval epochActual=strptime(Actual_Start_Time,"%H:%M")
| eval Status=case(isnotnull(epochActual) AND epochActual>epochExpected,"Late start",   
isnotnull(epochActual) AND epochActual=epochExpected ,"On time start",
 isnotnull(epochActual) AND epochActual<epochExpected, "Started earlier", 
isnull(epochActual) AND epochExpected<now(), "Not yet started on the expected start time", 
isnull(epochActual) AND epochExpected>now(), "Waiting for the expected start time", true(),"Undefined")
| fields - epoch*

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming you've done the lookup to get fields Job_Name Expected_start_time and Actual_Start_Time in your search results, try something like this

your current search giving fields  Job_Name Expected_start_time and Actual_Start_Time
| eval epochExpected=strptime(Expected_start_time,"%H:%M") | eval epochActual=strptime(Actual_Start_Time,"%H:%M")
| eval Status=case(isnotnull(epochActual) AND epochActual>epochExpected,"Late start",   
isnotnull(epochActual) AND epochActual=epochExpected ,"On time start",
 isnotnull(epochActual) AND epochActual<epochExpected, "Started earlier", 
isnull(epochActual) AND epochExpected<now(), "Not yet started on the expected start time", 
isnull(epochActual) AND epochExpected>now(), "Waiting for the expected start time", true(),"Undefined")
| fields - epoch*

Kwip
Contributor

Wonderful @somesoni2. Thank you very much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...