Splunk Search

How to compare data with last 7 days of data?

mahbs
Path Finder

Hi,

I've got a query that's failing at the "where" statement. I'm trying to show data in the last 7 days based on data i've imported. This is the query:

source=* host="xxx" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" "Issue Type"="Bug" | streamstats dc(source) as distinct_source | head (distinct_source == 1)  | eval NewTime=strptime(Created,"%d/%b/%y %H:%M %p") | eval _time=NewTime | eval epoch7days_ago=relative_time(now(), "-7d@d") | where _time>epoch7days_ago

I'm not sure why I'm getting no results at the where statement.

Tags (2)

Super Champion

can you share sample output of below query:

source=* host="xxx" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" "Issue Type"="Bug" | streamstats dc(source) as distinct_source | head (distinct_source == 1) |table Created *
0 Karma

mahbs
Path Finder

The date in the Created field has the format: 12/02/2018 10:30

0 Karma

Super Champion

try this:

source=* host="xxx" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" "Issue Type"="Bug" 
 | streamstats dc(source) as distinct_source 
 | head (distinct_source == 1) 
 | eval NewTime=strptime(Created,"%d/%m/%Y %H:%M")
 | eval time=NewTime 
 | eval epoch7days_ago=relative_time(now(), "-7d@d") 
 | where time>epoch7days_ago
0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

hey you can try something like this !

source=* host="xxx" index="xxx" sourcetype="xxx" "Issue Type"="Bug" 
| streamstats dc(source) as distinct_source 
| head (distinct_source == 1) 
| eval NewTime=strptime(Created,"%d/%b/%y %H:%M %p") 
| eval time=NewTime 
| eval epoch7days_ago=relative_time(now(), "-7d@d") 
| where time>epoch7days_ago

As you have assigned Newtime to _time it will automatically convert epoch time to readable time format and you can not compare readable time and epoch time.
You can see that using below run anywhere search

| gentimes start=-1 | eval NewTime=strptime(starthuman,"%A %b %d %H:%M:%S %y")  |table NewTime  |  eval _time=NewTime

let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

mahbs
Path Finder

Hi @mayurr98, sorry, this didn't work. I didn't quite understand what you did here, unfortunately.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hey if you have the date in 12/02/2018 10:30 format then you should use %d/%m/%Y %H:%M. Substitute this in the query provided by me.

In my run anywhere example, I took the time converted in epoch and assigned to _time just to show that you can not assign epoch time to _time so in order to assign epoch time you should use other custom time field. So that is the reason I used time instead of _time.

I hope you understand this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...