Splunk Search

How to combine two consecutive events into one based on the content of the first event?

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hello,

I would like to combine 2 events into one based on the content of the first one.

So every time I find an event containing the word "Banana" I wanna combine it with the line that follows regardless of what the following line is.

Could you please help out?

Thank you.
David

1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

You could try the transaction command. Something like this could work.

index=* | transaction startswith="banana" maxevents=2

Having said this, keep in mind the sort order in splunk may not be the same as what you are thinking. So what you think as the "next" event may not be what splunk considers to be the "next" event.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You should try to avoid using transaction whenever you can. Try this instead (faster and more robust):

... "banana" OR "the keyword in the next event" | reverse | streamstats count(eval(searchmatch("banana"))) AS SessionID | reverse | stats list(_raw) AS events by SessionID

DavidHourani
Super Champion

I'm getting 0 results with that search. I agree with you that transactions are slow and yes I think a better method would be to try to avoid it. How exactly does the Reverse command works ?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

We need reverse so that as we work backwards through the list from top-to-bottom, we process the oldest events first, meaning that whenever we see a banana event, it marks the beginning of a new "session".

I made a mistake in that I used stats instead of streamstats. I have correct this in my original answer; try again.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

its still not working for some reason... apparently SessionID is always empty...

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

ARGH! I blew it again! I used count(searchmatch("banana")) instead of count(eval(searchmatch("banana"))). I have updated my answer again. If you care to retry, I am sure it will work this time!

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

... "banana" OR "the keyword in the next event" | reverse | eval x=if(searchmatch("banana"), 1, 0) | streamstats sum(x) AS SessionID | reverse | stats list(_raw) AS events by SessionID

sundareshr
Legend

You could try the transaction command. Something like this could work.

index=* | transaction startswith="banana" maxevents=2

Having said this, keep in mind the sort order in splunk may not be the same as what you are thinking. So what you think as the "next" event may not be what splunk considers to be the "next" event.

DavidHourani
Super Champion

I think that should work. I did it with |transaction _time startswith="banana" endwith="the keyword in the next even" since the "Next" event was in chronological order worked fine for me ^^

0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

Hello. You can do it through configuration files (props.conf and transforms.conf). Read this:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1511/Data/Configureeventlinebreaking

Thanks

SGF

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Can you put some sample data here? The closer to your original data the better

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...