Splunk Search

How to combine my 3 searches into one to create an alert?

aramakrishnan

I'm trying to set up an alert for the time taken for a process, which I was previously calculating using 3 separate searches. I'm looking to combine them into one so I can directly set up an alert.

(1) The background of the process is that every serial number in the sourcetype has a number of segment Ids, starting from 0. While all serial numbers start with segment =0, the largest segment number is different for all devices. So the way I compute largest segment ID is as follows:

sourcetype="algorithmjoblog" serialNumber="NTEST1234B" | stats max(segmentId) as lastSeg

(2) Next, I calculate duration for segmentId=0, processing phase=mapstart (i.e., the segment has started processing) and segmentId=max segment, processing phase=mapEnd (i.e., the segment processing has completed).

sourcetype="algorithmjoblog" serialNumber="NTEST1234B" | transaction startswith=(segmentId=0 processingPhase=mapStart) endswith=(segmentId=165 processingPhase=mapEnd)| table duration

(3) Finally, I calculate the time taken for the final stage of the process, which is integrationStart and integrationEnd, which all serialNumbers go through.

sourcetype="algorithmjoblog" serialNumber="NTEST1234B" | transaction startswith=(phase=integrationStart) endswith=(phase=integrationEnd)| table duration

I'm interested in setting up an alert for the sum of duration of (2) and (3), i.e., segment processing time + integration time, such that I get an alert when the time exceeds a value, say 10 mins. Also, I would like the alert to encompass all serialnumbers in a search, not just one specific serial number at a time.

I have an updated search, but the problem is that it's only using integration times for the first serialNumber, instead of extracting it from every serial number.

Here's what i ran:

sourcetype=algorithmjoblog serialNumber="NTEST*" |eval p_{processingPhase}=_time |stats first(p_*) as * by serialNumber | eval duration1=mapEnd-mapStart | table  duration1| join serialNumber[search sourcetype=algorithmjoblog serialNumber="NTEST*" | transaction startswith=(phase=integrationStart) endswith=(phase=integrationEnd) by serialNumber|eval duration2=duration| table duration2]

This is what my table looks like:

duration 1      duration2
123.45          101.45
233.34          101.45
3232.234        101.45
23.23           101.45
234.33          101.45

...where 101.45 is the integration time (duration2) for the first serial number (i.e. with duration 1 as 123.45).

Any inputs on how I could correct my search?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

0 Karma

stephane_cyrill
Builder

Hi try this to merge your searches,

sourcetype="algorithmjoblog" serialNumber="NTEST*" | transaction startswith=(segmentId=0 processingPhase=mapStart) endswith=(segmentId=165 processingPhase=mapEnd)|eval duration1=duration| table duration1 [search sourcetype="algorithmjoblog" serialNumber="NTEST*" | transaction startswith=(phase=integrationStart) endswith=(phase=integrationEnd)|eval duration2=duration| table duration2] |eval duration3= duration1 + duration2| eval Test_duration=if(duration3>10, "the time exceeds","No")|table Test_duration

You can set up your alert base on the value of the field Test_duration

0 Karma

aramakrishnan

I have an updated query that fixes the problem in the comment above, but I now have a new problem where it's only using integration times for the first serialNumber, instead of extracting it from every serial number.

Here's what i ran:

sourcetype=algorithmjoblog serialNumber="NTEST*" |eval p_{processingPhase}=_time |stats first(p_*) as * by serialNumber | eval duration1=mapEnd-mapStart | table  duration1| join serialNumber[search sourcetype=algorithmjoblog serialNumber="NTEST*" | transaction startswith=(phase=integrationStart) endswith=(phase=integrationEnd) by serialNumber|eval duration2=duration| table duration2]

This is what my table looks like

duration 1            duration2
123.45            101.45
233.34            101.45
3232.234            101.45
23.23            101.45
234.33            101.45

...where 101.45 is the integration time (duration2) for the first serial number (i.e. with duration 1 as 123.45).

Any inputs on how I could correct my search?

0 Karma

aramakrishnan

Thanks @stephane_cyrille, I still have couple issues. (1) The maximum segment ID is not always 165 as in the query above (it varies per serialNumber), and earlier I was using a separate query for that (sourcetype="algorithmjoblog" serialNumber="NTEST1234B" | stats max(segmentId) as lastSeg). I changed this to sourcetype="algorithmjoblog" serialNumber="NTEST1234B" | stats max(segmentId) as lastSeg by serialNumber, but it doesn't work when I include it in the combined query.

How do I set it up such that it pulls out the maximum segment ID for every device and returns that as a value that I can use in the "endswith" section of the query? If I say endswith=(segmentId=lastSeg processingPhase=mapEnd), it doesn't work.

(2) Also, when I run the query it says "Error in 'table' command: Invalid argumentL 'duration2 =100.655". What do you think may be the issue?

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...