Splunk Search

How to chart multiple fields by date?

RB5
Path Finder

Although I get a lot of hits for these keywords, I'm not having much luck finding a solution. Have tried timechart also.

I have: search... | chart sum(count) AS Total over DIRECTION by ATTACH (I was also using 'addtotals' for that which was a nice feature)

to get below:

DIRECTION | HAS_ATTACH | NO_ATTACH

Inbound | 2491 | 338

Outbound | 568 | 2792

But I also want the date, but not in this format: | stats count by Date, DIRECTION, ATTACH

Date | DIRECTION | ATTACH | count

2014-08-05 | Inbound | HAS_ATTACH | 2491

2014-08-05 | Inbound | NO_ATTACH | 338

2014-08-05 | Outbound | HAS_ATTACH | 568

2014-08-05 | Outbound | NO_ATTACH | 2792

I'd like to have the format as follows - any suggestions?

Date | DIRECTION | HAS_ATTACH | NO_ATTACH

2014-08-05 | Inbound | 2491 | 338

2014-08-05 | Outbound | 568 | 2792

Tags (2)
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I had a similar use case. I was told that you can't chart over two series in Splunk (as you can in Excel). My solution:

| eval Date_Direction=Date + ":" + DIRECTION
 | chart sum(count) AS Total over Date_Direction by ATTACH

You get a clean chart, but lose the ability to use Date and Direction for further processing.

If you want to use Date and Direction and don't mind table format, here is a quirky method:

| rex field=Date_Direction "(?<Date>[^:]+):(?<DIRECTION>.*)"
 | fields - Date_Direction

This gives you the table you want (somewhat different field orders), but you lose meaningful visualization.

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I had a similar use case. I was told that you can't chart over two series in Splunk (as you can in Excel). My solution:

You get a clean chart, but lose the ability to use Date and Direction for further processing.

If you want to use Date and Direction and don't mind table format, here is a quirky method:

| rex field=Date_Direction "(?<Date>[^:]+):(?<DIRECTION>.*)"
 | fields - Date_Direction

This gives you the table you want (somewhat different field orders), but you lose meaningful visualization.

season88481
Contributor

That is a very smart way for doing this.

0 Karma

RB5
Path Finder

Okay thanks, I had seen that work around at: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/66471/timechart-with-each-line-defined-by-multiple-fields

If this is true (which I was starting to assume): "you can't chart over two series in Splunk" then I can live with your solution.

Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...