Splunk Search

How to change a value at index time

JPrictoe
Loves-to-Learn

Hiya, simple question here. I want to change the way a value is represented to me after I index, see the following:

2014-02-21 10:42:57 support-1 root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * <WARNING> : target=backed(up

I want "backed(up" to be replaced with "backed-up". Any suggestions?

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Try this :

If you want to anonymize data at search time then try :

| makeresults 
| eval _raw=" 2014-02-21 10:42:57 support-1 root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] * <WARNING> : target=backed(up" 
| rex field=_raw mode=sed "s/(backed)\((up)/\1-\2/g"

at index time then try:

1) Edit or create a copy of props.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local

Create a props.conf stanza that uses SEDCMD to indicate a sed script:

[<your_sourcetype>]
SEDCMD-backedup = s/(backed)\((up)/\1-\2/g

2) After making changes to props.conf, restart the Splunk instance to enable the configuration.
let me know if this helps!

Shan
Builder

@JPrictoe

After data is indexed. If you want to change the following underling data only in your query.
Then you can try something like i mentioned below. This won't change the data in index.

| makeresults
| eval target="backed(up"
| replace "backed(up" with "backed-up"
| table target

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@shankarananth you are missing in target argument in your replace command, otherwise it will apply to all the available fields.

| makeresults 
| eval target="backed(up", someotherfield="backed(up"
| replace "backed(up" with "backed-up"
| table target someotherfield

So correct query is

| makeresults 
| replace "backed(up" with "backed-up" in target
| table target someotherfield

Here is another option with replace() evaluation function

| makeresults 
| eval target=replace(target,"(backed)\((up)","\1\2")
| table target

However, better approach would be to use SEDCMD during index-time as suggested by @mayurr98 and @somesoni2, so that data is indexed as expected, rather than using search time field corrections. As per your question you are looking for index time correction.

You should also check out the feasibility of correcting the logging by application in the first place if the logged text is not as expected. Even if you don't own the code or the app is third party, you can always notify them of such correction with miss-spelled/incorrect logging!

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use data masking/anonymization methods listed in below link to replace a string with another.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/Data/Anonymizedata

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...