Splunk Search

How to calculate time difference / duration not showing correct results?

neerajs_81
Builder

Hi all,   I need to calculate the duration i.e. difference between endtime & starttime and display the same in a user friendly format.  I have looked at different posts on the forum and am using the same logic yet if you see my splunk results below,  the duration column shows numbers like 81, 82 , 96... which doesn't make sense.   Are these difference in secs ? Even if its secs, the math doesn't seem to be correct.    How can I make diff value show in a readable format like  81 seconds, or  00:00:81 ( HH:MM:SS) ?

| transaction eventID startswith=starting endswith=end 
| eval starttime = _time | eval endtime=_time+duration
| eval duration = endtime-starttime
| convert ctime(starttime)| convert ctime(endtime) 
| table starttime, endtime, duraton

neerajs_81_0-1655122704866.png

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

all the time calculations must be done on numbers, so the tostring option is good to display a duration in human readable format, but it isn't good for calculations.

So make calculations before the tostring transformation, as @PickleRick and @ITWhisperer hinted:

if you want a duration greater one hour you have to calculate something like this.

| eval condition=if(duration>3600),"More than 1 hour","Less than 1 hour")

If this or another one answer solves your need, please, accept it for the other people of Community.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the Contributors 😉

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It does make perfect sense.

14:17:06 + 82 seconds = 14:18:06+22 seconds = 14:18:28

And so on.

I'd also advise to not use eval to convert from this seconds-based duration to string but use fieldformat. This way you retain the possibility to do any manipulation you want but you'll present the time to the user in a readable way.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

di you explored the use of tostring option?

somthing like this:

| transaction eventID startswith=starting endswith=end 
| eval starttime = _time | eval endtime=_time+duration
| eval duration = tostring(endtime-starttime,"duration")
| convert ctime(starttime)| convert ctime(endtime) 
| table starttime, endtime, duraton

Ciao.

Giuseppe

neerajs_81
Builder

You are the man !!!.  Thank you.
One more related question,  now that we have the duration calculated, how do i enable a condition to check if duration > N hours or N mins ?   Basically i need to filter for events where duration is past 1 hour say.  Will the below where clause work ? Doesn't appear to be  working

| where duration > 00:60:00   OR | where duration > 60

neerajs_81_0-1655128894949.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

all the time calculations must be done on numbers, so the tostring option is good to display a duration in human readable format, but it isn't good for calculations.

So make calculations before the tostring transformation, as @PickleRick and @ITWhisperer hinted:

if you want a duration greater one hour you have to calculate something like this.

| eval condition=if(duration>3600),"More than 1 hour","Less than 1 hour")

If this or another one answer solves your need, please, accept it for the other people of Community.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the Contributors 😉

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have your where command before the tostring() function remembering that the value will be in seconds, so use 3600 for 1 hour.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...