Splunk Search

How to calculate the number of times the same event has occured in an index?

MG
Engager

How to calculate the number of times the same event has occured in an index

Labels (1)
0 Karma

GaetanVP
Contributor

Hello MG, 

As far as I know, you will never have the exact same event inside an index since each event has been indexed at a specific time.

You can easily count the number of "similar" event based on keys and values to compare, which can lead you to what you call "same event".

For instance if the same user visited the same page during the last hour, we could consider that those two events are similar, and you can count those within a Splunk search over the last our, something like :

index="myindex" user="user1" url="mywebsite/mypage"

Note that this search really depend on the sourcetype of the logs you're looking for of course...

I hope it helps!
Regards,

GaetanVP

0 Karma

MG
Engager

You are right..Another query I have is..

Calculating the size of an index and triggering the alert. If an alert triggered for one index then it should not trigger the same alert  for next  2hour . But it should trigger alert for other indexes.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...