Splunk Search

How to calculate duration between two events and plot this on a bar chart?

saurabhkunte
Path Finder

HI All,

I am hoping one of you can help me figure out how to calculate time duration between the below sample events. These are the two events that get logged when a session is being blocked on DB server and the other when the alert gets cleared. I would like to create a bar chart showing the time duration of each blocking events. Thanks.

TIMESTAMP=Oct 2, 2015 2:57:57 AM EDT
Host=sysdb-ux01.xxx.com
Message=Total db time 223 seconds is consumed by 1 sessions blocked by session SID,SERIAL:268,23207,LOCK_TYPE:TX,PROGRAM:sqlplus@sysdb-ux01 (TNS V1-V3),MODULE:sqlplus@sysdb-ux01 (TNS V1-V3),ACTION:XXX_PROGRAM,MACHINE:sysdb-ux01,OSUSER:oracle,USERNAME:SYS.
Target_Type=Database Instance
Target_Name=DB_01
Severity=Critical
Metric=db_time
Num_Keys=1
Key_Value_Name=db_time_id__

Key_Value=223___

TIMESTAMP=Oct 2, 2015 3:02:57 AM EDT
Host=sysdb-ux01.xxx.com
Message=Alert for Blocking Session DB Time for 4980745_756827_268_23207 is cleared
Target_Type=Database Instance
Target_Name=DB_01
Severity=Clear
Metric=db_time
Num_Keys=1
Key_Value_Name=db_time_id__
Key_Value=___

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use transaction command

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/SearchReference/Transaction

your search | transaction Host,Target_Name, "other common unique fields for these two transaction" startswith="sessions blocked by session" endswith="is cleared"|timechart duration

Or use stats

your search|stats first(_time) as End,last(_time) as Start by "common unique fields in the transaction"|eval Difference=End-Start|chart Difference

You might need to adjust the time format for time difference in the second one.

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

unitedmarsupial
Path Finder

Trying the first method:
| transaction host, PID startswith="Code=ImportRequestStart" endswith="Code=ImportRequestEnd"
| timechart duration

I get this error: Error in 'timechart' command: The specifier 'duration' is invalid. It must be in form <func>(<field>). For example: max(size).

Using avg(duration) works...

0 Karma

saurabhkunte
Path Finder

The problem is the Numeric serials are in 2 different events. When I use IFX it extracts Numeric values for the field from only one event and does not allow me to extract values for same field from the other event. So I am unable to group the events using transaction command for the common field I am trying to extract.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need a common field or you need to join the transaction with time dependency which might also not work for you. Try extracting the SERIAL as different fields and then create a field alias and use the field alias in transaction

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

saurabhkunte
Path Finder

Thanks Renjith.nair.

However this is grouping the next event in series. The events have common SERIAL IDs in both the events.
For e.g SERIAL:23207 in the event which alerts blocking of session\
23207 - in the event which displays the blocking was cleared.

How do i use these common values to group the events?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If it's not a field, extract it and use it in transaction
ie

your search | transaction SERIAL startswith="sessions blocked by session" endswith="is cleared"|timechart duration

OR

your search|stats first(_time) as End,last(_time) as Start by SERIAL|eval Difference=End-Start|timechart Difference
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...