Splunk Search

How to calculate and display unique combinations where order doesn't matter but there can be no duplicate combinations?

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let's say I want to display the total number of unique possible combinations for a given set of things (n) when various amounts (r) of those things are chosen.  You cannot choose the same thing more than once and it does not matter which order those things are chosen in.      

For example, I have 13 searches that contribute to a user's risk score (n=13).  Right now my users' behavior has triggered a maximum of 6 of those searches (r=6).  However, each user may have triggered a different combination of 6 searches from the 13 total possible searches.  

How can I calculate and display for each risk score (1-13) the number of unique combinations of searches that could contribute to the score?

For example, if a user has a risk score of 13, there is only 1 combination, all 13 searches.  If a user has a score of 1 there are 13 possible combinations.  

I want to be able to dynamically calculate and display all the rest of the possibilities without statically defining n or r.  

This is the formula I am using: n!/(r!(n-r)!)

@marycordova
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on this solution by @javiergnhttps://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-calculate-the-factorial-of-a-number-in-a-Splunk...

(Not entirely sure what the hell natural logarithm and exponential function e^x are but I double checked all the math with an online calculator and it works.  I don't know what the upper limit on "n" and/or "r" would be with this solution, but there is a point at which the numbers are too big and the math starts to break down according to @javiergn.)

Here is the visualization, I really like how it came out:marycordova_0-1599877676332.png

marycordova_1-1599877918070.png

Here is the SPL, you can insert anything in place of the lookup table files in order to dynamically calculate your "n" and "r":

| inputlookup my_list_of_things.csv 
| stats dc(factor) as n
| eval r=mvrange(1,('n'+1))
| mvexpand r
| eval r_log=ln('r')
| eventstats sum(r_log) as n_sum 
| eval n_factorial=exp('n_sum')
| streamstats sum(r_log) as r_sum
| eval r_factorial=exp('r_sum')
| eval nlr='n'-'r'
| eval nlr_log=ln('nlr')
| sort + nlr
| streamstats sum(nlr_log) as nlr_sum
| eval nlr_factorial=exp('nlr_sum')
| eval combinations=round(('n_factorial'/('r_factorial'*'nlr_factorial')))
| eval combinations=if('n'=='r',1,'combinations')
| rename n as factors r as score 
| sort + score
| table factors score combinations

@marycordova

View solution in original post

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks to @martin_mueller there's now "an app for that": https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/5568/ 😍

@marycordova

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are two more, significantly less SPL-intense options:

1. Cheat. Given the restrictions of finite-bit maths, you can easily ship a lookup of all reasonable factorials instead of calculating them on the fly, here's a start: https://oeis.org/A000142/list
  2. Use Stirling's approximation, expressed in SPL it's `| eval n! = sqrt(2*pi()*n)*pow(n/exp(1), n)` ... it won't be perfect, but it'll give you the right number of digits and the first two will be accurate, ie two sigfigs of precision. Probably good enough for your use case, for 13 choose 6 it yields 1749.

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on this solution by @javiergnhttps://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-calculate-the-factorial-of-a-number-in-a-Splunk...

(Not entirely sure what the hell natural logarithm and exponential function e^x are but I double checked all the math with an online calculator and it works.  I don't know what the upper limit on "n" and/or "r" would be with this solution, but there is a point at which the numbers are too big and the math starts to break down according to @javiergn.)

Here is the visualization, I really like how it came out:marycordova_0-1599877676332.png

marycordova_1-1599877918070.png

Here is the SPL, you can insert anything in place of the lookup table files in order to dynamically calculate your "n" and "r":

| inputlookup my_list_of_things.csv 
| stats dc(factor) as n
| eval r=mvrange(1,('n'+1))
| mvexpand r
| eval r_log=ln('r')
| eventstats sum(r_log) as n_sum 
| eval n_factorial=exp('n_sum')
| streamstats sum(r_log) as r_sum
| eval r_factorial=exp('r_sum')
| eval nlr='n'-'r'
| eval nlr_log=ln('nlr')
| sort + nlr
| streamstats sum(nlr_log) as nlr_sum
| eval nlr_factorial=exp('nlr_sum')
| eval combinations=round(('n_factorial'/('r_factorial'*'nlr_factorial')))
| eval combinations=if('n'=='r',1,'combinations')
| rename n as factors r as score 
| sort + score
| table factors score combinations

@marycordova

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After working on all this I did come across mvmap which could possibly be used to simplify all the steps involved but I haven't tried it out yet: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/SearchReference/MultivalueEvalFunctions#mvmap.28X...

@marycordova
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...