Splunk Search

How to build a summary index that uses eval statements to configure timechart results?

a109120

I am trying to build a summary index to pull a week over week comparison of specific applications. The below query works normally, but for efficiency reasons I would like to place this in a summary index. I am having trouble getting the results I want displayed for the comparison in question. My results with sitimechart are using the date and time that the data was ingested into the Summary Index which prevents my comparison method from working.

The search results off of the summary index places events in a "NULL" column and does not follow the eval statements.

index=1 host=1234 sourcetype=sourcetype application=app earliest=-2w@w latest=@w 
| eval marker = if (_time < relative_time(now(), "-1w@w"), "last week", "this week") 
| eval _time = if (marker=="last week", _time + 7*24*60*60, _time)
| timechart count by marker cont=FALSE

See attached for stats table

alt text

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should try using the collect command to put into a summary index and query it. This will also include _time so its broken in the correct days, just as your table is showing

index=1 host=1234 sourcetype=sourcetype application=app earliest=-2w@w latest=@w 
 | eval marker = if (_time < relative_time(now(), "-1w@w"), "last week", "this week") 
 | eval _time = if (marker=="last week", _time + 7*24*60*60, _time)
 | timechart count by marker cont=FALSE
| collect index=summary 

Then when its collected, you can then query your summary index

index=summary sourcetype=..
| timechart span=1d max(last_week) AS last_week max(this_week) AS this_week
0 Karma

a109120

I gave this a try and the timechart did not assign any values to the this_week/last_week columns. I think I have a few ideas to get that to work. Thanks for the input

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Please consider the new features, such as report acceleration before attempting the legacy tricky summary index.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Agreed that an accelerated data model would probably be better, but it would depend on the scenario. An accelerated data model eats up disk space for the additional tsidx files and also consumed 3 concurrent searches every 5 mins to update the summary range. This is a lot of overhead if OP wants a simple solution with minimal overhead. I wouldn't consider a summary index old legacy tricky technology.. ITSI uses it and doesn't plan on ditching it anytime soon

0 Karma

a109120

Yes that is exactly why I am looking into summary indexing. I am trying to avoid using up the large amount of resources.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...