Splunk Search

How to assign a default value to the count when there are no events?

bollam
Path Finder

I have got five places in the field="location". I want to find if there is no login's happened based on the location.

I need only require the results if there are no events in Splunk from a specific field. For an instance.
If no one has logged in from the location="Hyderabad" and location="Bangalore" then the count should be assigned with a value as "1" by default.

I can get the count if there are events but not from the location where there are no events.

The output should look like below:
location      1
Hyderabad     1
Bangalore     1
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi bollam,
let me understand: how you can understand when from "Hyderabad" you have only one access (count=1) or no access (count=0)
?
you instead could give the zero value to a location when there isn't any access using an easy way:

• create a lookup (called e.g. locations.csv) with one column (called e.g. location) containing all the locations;
  • run a search like this:

index=my_index
    | stats count by location
    | append [ | inputlookup locations.csv | eval count=0 | fields location count ]
    | stats sum(count) AS Total BY location

In this way location with Total=0 aren't accessed.

You can filter locations BY Total and create an alert or display table in graphic mode (see Splunk 7.x Dashboard Examples App).

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi bollam,
let me understand: how you can understand when from "Hyderabad" you have only one access (count=1) or no access (count=0)
?
you instead could give the zero value to a location when there isn't any access using an easy way:

• create a lookup (called e.g. locations.csv) with one column (called e.g. location) containing all the locations;
  • run a search like this:

index=my_index
    | stats count by location
    | append [ | inputlookup locations.csv | eval count=0 | fields location count ]
    | stats sum(count) AS Total BY location

In this way location with Total=0 aren't accessed.

You can filter locations BY Total and create an alert or display table in graphic mode (see Splunk 7.x Dashboard Examples App).

Bye.
Giuseppe

bollam
Path Finder

Typo in the question.

Output should look like below:

location count
Hyderabad 1
Bangalore 1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...