Splunk Search

How to append values from a field to all values of a multivalued field?

kabiraj
Path Finder

Hi All,

I have a multivalued field. I want to take values from one field and append the same to all the values of a multivalued field. The number of values present in multivalued field is NOT constant.

Example: I have a multivalued field as error=0,8000,80001, and so on.
( want to append values from a field such as 'TargetBandwidth' to all values like error=0:targetbandwidth, 8000:targetbandwidth, 8001:targetbandwidth, and so on.

Any ideas on how to do that?

Tried eval error = error+":"+TargetBandwidth but it didn't work.
Tried with eval error = mvappend(error,TargetBandwidth) but it appends values only to the last value of the mv field like error=0, 8000, 8001, and so on:targetbandwidth.

Please help.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

... | mvexpand error | eval error = error . ":" . TargetBandwidth | mvcombine error

View solution in original post

kabiraj
Path Finder

Thank You guys for replying. Figured it out myself yesterday. Just a simple mvexpand did the trick. Since woodcock replied first so i m gonna accept his answer. Once again sorry for asking such a dumb question.

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

HI kabiraj
This search code works well . Try it

.......|mvexpand error|rex field=error  "(?P<error1>[^\,]+)"|eval error1=error1.":"."TargetBandwidth"|eval error=error1.","|stats  values(error) as error

Look at an example

alt text

0 Karma

kabiraj
Path Finder

Thank you chimell. Figured it out yesterday. Only a mvexpand and then mvcombine did the trick. Anyways, sorry for the dumb question.

0 Karma

johnmccash
Explorer

I'm trying to do something similar, but the whole reason I am is to try and get around the high memory cost of the mvexpand operation. Any other suggestions?

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@johnmccash please create a new post on this, this question is from 2015 and answered already. I've found very few ways to work around this issue but ask the question in a new post...

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

... | mvexpand error | eval error = error . ":" . TargetBandwidth | mvcombine error

kabiraj
Path Finder

Thank you woodcock. Figured it out myself but thanks for the answer and sorry for the dumb question.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...