Splunk Search

How to append the results of one search to another?

raby1996
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm using the search below to collect errors that have occurred on specific machines, however, I need to use two different searches because the data is split amongst two indexes and source types. When I try using the append command, I only get the results of the first search. Is there any reason as to why this may happening? Thank you in advance.

index=hb_probtxt or hb_probxml  sourcetype=AllProblems.txt or AllProblems.xml eventtype=nix_errors
     | rex "(?m)storageFacilityMTMS.*?=(?<sf>\S+)"
     | rex "(?m)referenceCode.*?=(?<rc>BE\w+)"
     | rex  field=firstReportedTime "(?<cf>\S+\s+\S+)"
     | dedup sf, rc, cf
     | stats list(rc) as "SRC Code"  list(firstReportedTime) as "Date of Occurence" by sf| rename sf as "MTMS"
     |append [search index=hb_probxml  sourcetype="AllProblems.xml" 
     | rex "(?m)storageFacilityMTMS.*?\"(?<sf>.*?)\""
     | rex "(?m) referenceCode.*?\"(?<rc>.*?)\""
     |  rex "(?m)SEText.*?\"(?<st>.*?)\""
     | rex field=collectionTimeStamp "(?<cs>\w+)"
     | dedup cs, sf, rc
     | stats list(rc) as "SRC Code" list(collectionTimeStamp) as "Date of Occurence" by sf | rename sf as "MTMS" ]               
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I do not see any issue with your search here. It could be that append subsearch is getting timedout before it's complete. Also, just to be sure, try this to confirm you're not seeing any events from 2nd search

index=hb_probtxt or hb_probxml  sourcetype=AllProblems.txt or AllProblems.xml eventtype=nix_errors
     | dedup sf, rc, cf
     | stats list(rc) as "SRC Code"  list(firstReportedTime) as "Date of Occurence" by sf| rename sf as "MTMS" | eval From=1
     | dedup cs, sf, rc
     | stats list(rc) as "SRC Code" list(collectionTimeStamp) as "Date of Occurence" by sf | rename sf as "MTMS"  | eval From=2 ] | where From=2

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I do not see any issue with your search here. It could be that append subsearch is getting timedout before it's complete. Also, just to be sure, try this to confirm you're not seeing any events from 2nd search

| dedup sf, rc, cf
     | stats list(rc) as "SRC Code"  list(firstReportedTime) as "Date of Occurence" by sf| rename sf as "MTMS" | eval From=1
     | dedup cs, sf, rc
     | stats list(rc) as "SRC Code" list(collectionTimeStamp) as "Date of Occurence" by sf | rename sf as "MTMS"  | eval From=2 ] | where From=2

raby1996
Path Finder

Yes I think that was the Problem, I ended up searching multiple indexes using the OR boolean, and its working. I appreciate the help, however I was required to delete the posting, still Thank You!

0 Karma

gyslainlatsa
Motivator

hi raby1996,

Appends the results of a subsearch to the current results. The append command runs only over historical data and does not produce correct results if used in a real-time search.

try use appendcols Or join

0 Karma

raby1996
Path Finder

hmmm I'm not sure if those would work, basically I want to run those two searches and add the results together, not match or overwrite anything (which is by my understating what appendcols and join do). Here is an example, Thank you!

Search 1 Results-
MTMS SRC Code Date of Occurrence
1 2 01/01/16
2 5 02/01/16

Search 2 Results-
3 3 12/01/15
4 5 11/01/15

Desired Results-
1 2 01/01/16
2 5 02/01/16
3 3 12/01/15
4 5 11/01/15

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...