Splunk Search

How to aggregate several similar fields into one and tabulate top values

shantu
Explorer

I have created several search-time field extractions to filter out Credit Card numbers from our logs:

\s+(?<CCVisaNumber>4[0-9]{12}(?:[0-9]{3})?)
\s+(?<CCMasterCardNumber>5[1-5][0-9]{14})
\s+(?<CCJCBNumber>(?:2131|1800|35\d{3})\d{11})
\s+(?<CCAmexNumber>3[47][0-9]{13})
\s+(?<CCDinersNumber>3(?:0[0-5]|[68][0-9])[0-9]{11})
\s+(?<CCDiscoverNumber>6(?:011|5[0-9]{2})[0-9]{12})

I would ideally like to aggregate all of these in one field "CreditCardNumber" so that I can then use:

host=stagexx | top CreditCardNumber

(Essentially, I want to display them in descending order of frequency)

Is there any way to do that? The rex command doesn't support this sort of OR use case (using | with quotes et al proved futile).

Instead, could I perhaps aggregate these into one field while trying to create a table? Something like assigning all of them to one type of sorts (such as CreditCardNumber) and then displaying all values in descending order of frequency?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

aweitzman
Motivator

You want to use the coalesce function of the eval command:

...all your extractions... 
| eval CCNumber=coalesce(CCVisaNumber,CCMasterCardNumber,CCJCBNumber,CCAmexNumber,CCDinersNumber,CCDiscoverNumber)
| top CCNumber

(This will only work if you only have one credit card number per event, though. If you have more than one per event, you'll need fancier footwork than this.)

View solution in original post

aweitzman
Motivator

You want to use the coalesce function of the eval command:

...all your extractions... 
| eval CCNumber=coalesce(CCVisaNumber,CCMasterCardNumber,CCJCBNumber,CCAmexNumber,CCDinersNumber,CCDiscoverNumber)
| top CCNumber

(This will only work if you only have one credit card number per event, though. If you have more than one per event, you'll need fancier footwork than this.)

shantu
Explorer

Solid.

Yeah - at most one credit card number per event, so this works quite well. Thanks for the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...