Suppose I have the following table:

comonent | count |

--------------|---------|
a1 | 3 |
a2 | 5 |
a3 | 6 |
b1 | 2 |

b2 | 5 |

I would like to add two rows to the table that would represent the sum of all the a's and the b's. In other words, I'd like to create new components called a-total and b-total that would contain the sum of all the a components and the b components respectfully, and then add those components to the component field.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you need to sort as well (giving all a's and corresponding a-total, then all b's and corresponding b-total), try like this

your current search giving fields component and count
| eval keep=0
| appendpipe [| where match(component,"^a") | addcoltotals labelfield=component label="a-total" 
 eval keep=1]
| appendpipe [| where match(component,"^b") | addcoltotals labelfield=component label="b-total" 
 eval keep=1]
| where keep=1

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you need to sort as well (giving all a's and corresponding a-total, then all b's and corresponding b-total), try like this

your current search giving fields component and count
| eval keep=0
| appendpipe [| where match(component,"^a") | addcoltotals labelfield=component label="a-total" 
 eval keep=1]
| appendpipe [| where match(component,"^b") | addcoltotals labelfield=component label="b-total" 
 eval keep=1]
| where keep=1

elliotproebstel
Champion

Here's one way to do it:

your base search 
| appendpipe 
  [ | where match(component, "^a") 
    | stats sum(count) AS count 
    | eval component="a-total" ] 
| appendpipe 
  [ |where match(component, "^b") 
    | stats sum(count) AS count 
    | eval component="b-total" ]

The appendpipe command allows you to add some more calculations while preserving the original query results.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/SearchReference/Appendpipe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...