Splunk Search

How to add data to an extracted field?

Jason
Motivator

A client wishes to pull some data from one of their logs into a search-time-extracted field and prefix it with a bit of text.

However, I know that

[transformname]
REGEX = ...
FORMAT = fieldname::$1$2

doesn't work, nor does adding any other text into FORMAT. (It will come out as literally what you typed, not with the value of $1.) Looking at regex sites, it doesn't appear possible to get something into a capture group that doesn't actually exist in the event.

Is there any way to add knowledge by concatenation onto a search-time field with props/transforms, without use of the search commands (such as eval)? Concatenation of two extracted fields perhaps?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is not, and if you did, it would not be possible to search for the field values (in current versions, 4.1.6 and down). Note a search like myfieldname=fvalue for a search-time field myfieldname is (by default) converted by Splunk into a search for (myfieldname=fvalue AND fvalue), i.e., Splunk will look for fvalue in the raw event text. The transformations you propose above would make this search fail.

You could do something like create an automatic scripted lookup if you like instead, though it must output to a different field name from the input.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is not, and if you did, it would not be possible to search for the field values (in current versions, 4.1.6 and down). Note a search like myfieldname=fvalue for a search-time field myfieldname is (by default) converted by Splunk into a search for (myfieldname=fvalue AND fvalue), i.e., Splunk will look for fvalue in the raw event text. The transformations you propose above would make this search fail.

You could do something like create an automatic scripted lookup if you like instead, though it must output to a different field name from the input.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could, but then searches over that field effectively turn into "grep", and don't use the search index to find the value.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

Well you could add it to fields.conf with INDEXED_VALUE=false to stop the search term expansion.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...