Splunk Search

How to add a new column with serial number based on the uniqueness of the existing column?

spkriyaz
Path Finder

I have a column called "message" which has duplicate records in it. I want to create a new column named "serial" beside it to have a serial no. for the message.

For example:

If the first and second-row message columns are the same then the new column "serial" should have 1 and 1 in it. If not identical then it should have the serial number as 1 and 2, and continue the serial no. for other records based on the message column uniqueness.

Example:

alt text

Since my first two records has same value in message as arran I had the value as 1 for it wherever it appears in the table. If you see the message "flex" appears in different row but I consider the serial number as 2 wherever it appears.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Streamstats if your friend. This should do it:

| streamstats count as id
| sort message
| streamstats dc(message) as "serial"
| sort id
| fields - id

You could remove the first streamstats command, sort id and fields - id if the original order does not matter.
Use sort 0 id if you expect to have more than 10.000 rows.

--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...