Splunk Search

How to achieve complex filtering on MVFields?

ett
Engager

I am attempting to build a search that pulls back all logs that have a value in a multi-value field but do not have other values. With a few values I do not care if exist or not.

To break it down more.

The field "names" must have "bob".
The field "names" can have any or all "tom","dan","harry" but is not required to have them.
The field "names" cannot have any other value.
I do not have a full list of the names and they can change over time so it is not possible to make a list of the "names" I do not want.

I need other values from the logs just filtering by the "names" field as an example.

As a few examples:

"bob"= returned in the search
"bob","tom" = returned in the search
"tom","dan" = not returned in the search
"bob","sam" = not returned in the search
"bob","harry","fred" = not returned in search

I am having trouble figuring out what to use to exclude multi-value fields in this way.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try (first 4 lines are to generate sample data, replace it with your search)

|  makeresults 
|  eval names=split("bob bob,tom tom,**bleep** bob,sam bob,harry,fred"," ") 
|  mvexpand names
| eval name=split(names,",")
| where isnotnull(mvfind(names,"bob")) AND isnull(mvfilter(NOT match(names,"(bob|tom|\*\*bleep\*\*|harry)$")))

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try (first 4 lines are to generate sample data, replace it with your search)

|  makeresults 
|  eval names=split("bob bob,tom tom,**bleep** bob,sam bob,harry,fred"," ") 
|  mvexpand names
| eval name=split(names,",")
| where isnotnull(mvfind(names,"bob")) AND isnull(mvfilter(NOT match(names,"(bob|tom|\*\*bleep\*\*|harry)$")))

ett
Engager

That where line at the bottom got me where I needed to be.

Thank you for your quick response. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...