pakerwe

Hi, i've this table

R      VIP            state
R1     1.1.1.1        Master
R2     1.1.1.1        Backup

I want to join the table so the result will be as follows

R_A      R_B          VIP             state_A         state_B
R1       R2           1.1.1.1         Master          Backup

If i'm using VIP as the ID for join, R1 can join with him self and also R2, this is the result

R_A      R_B          VIP             state_A         state_B
R1       R1           1.1.1.1         Master          Master

How to avoid this happen? so the join will happen only if some value on the field is not the same

Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This fakes your data:

| makeresults 
| eval raw="R1     1.1.1.1        Master::R2     1.1.1.1        Backup"
| makemv delim="::" raw
| mvexpand raw
| rex field=raw "(?<R>\S+)\s+(?<VIP>\S+)\s+(?<state>.+)"
| table R VIP state

This is your solution:

| stats list(*) AS * first(R) AS R_A last(R) AS R_B first(state) AS state_A last(state) AS state_B BY VIP
| rename COMMENT AS "eval R_A=mvindex(R,0), R_B=mvindex(R,1), state_A=mvindex(state,0), state_B=mvindex(state,1)"
| table R_A R_B VIP state_A state_B

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

That is some crazy feature there with the rename command. Is there any documentation on that?

DalJeanis
Legend

seriously weird. And it has identical results to removing the "rename COMMENT AS " and the end quote, so what's the point?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It is the previous code, which does work. It is a comment, that is all. The longer the search, the more important it is to comment your code.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

oh derp I thought the eval statement was getting executed. lol never mind

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@woodcock... After posting my answer I realized you had already answered this with a better query than what I was suggesting (so I deleted mine). However, I felt that values() should be used instead of list() to get only unique values of R and state, only to cover scenario where data might contain multiple occurrences. However, @pakerwe can confirm the same. Also we would need to know whether there are only two possible values like R_A, R_B or can there be more like R_C for R3 possible?

Also on an irrelevant note, following is another way to mock the data:

| makeresults 
| eval R="R1" 
| eval VIP="1.1.1.1" 
| eval state="master" 
  | append 
  [ | makeresults 
    | eval R="R2" 
    | eval VIP="1.1.1.1" 
    | eval state="backup"]
| table R VIP state

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You must not use values because it resorts the order alphabetically and we must retain the alignment/correlation of the values between the R and state fields; this is why I deliberately used list. Also, I modified the answer to eliminate the necessity of multi-valued fields entirely.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@woodcock...In this case all values are required to be presented in the single row, which means correlation is actually only required between VIP and remaining two fields and not within R and state. However, again @pakerwe should confirm the data and requirement.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I disagree. I am sure that the A values are to be correlated and also the B values. That is half the point.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...