Splunk Search

How to Compare two mv fields and audit individual results?

dural_yyz
Communicator

I'm looking specifically at the index for _configtracker to audit changes to serverclass.conf file.  Because the nature of the <filtertype>.n = <value> the behavior is one action to remove all values, then a second action to rewrite all the values in lexi order.  This is making auditing add/removals/static very difficult.

I have managed to transact the events so I can compare old values to new values.  I struggle with how to compare the results to identify changes when values list is very long.

Current Table Output

Unique Ident OldValues NewValues
<transact-x>
A
B
C
D
A
C
D
E

What I'm looking for

Unique Ident OldValues NewValue Audit
<transact-x> A A NoChange
<transact-x> B   Removed
<transact-x> C C NoChange
<transact-x> D D NoChange
<transact-x>   E Added

Assumptions

1) stats values(field): I don't believe any of my samples cross over 10,000 which I believe is default limits for values field

2) values function will lexi order all values regardless of original order in raw data feed

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is a bit convoluted because you need to create additional events to cover all comparisons.

| mvexpand OldValues
| eval Audit=if(isnotnull(mvfind(NewValue,OldValues)),"NoChange","Removed")
| eventstats values(OldValues) as allOldValues by Unique_Ident
| mvexpand NewValue
| eval NewAudit=if(isnotnull(mvfind(allOldValues,NewValue)),null(),"Added")
| eval OldValues=if(NewAudit="Added",null(),OldValues)
| eval NewValue=if(Audit="NoChange" AND isnotnull(OldValues),OldValues,if(Audit="Removed" AND isnotnull(OldValues),null(),NewValue))
| eval Audit=coalesce(NewAudit,Audit)
| fields Unique_Ident OldValues NewValue Audit
| fillnull value="" OldValues NewValue
| dedup Unique_Ident OldValues NewValue Audit

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is a bit convoluted because you need to create additional events to cover all comparisons.

| mvexpand OldValues
| eval Audit=if(isnotnull(mvfind(NewValue,OldValues)),"NoChange","Removed")
| eventstats values(OldValues) as allOldValues by Unique_Ident
| mvexpand NewValue
| eval NewAudit=if(isnotnull(mvfind(allOldValues,NewValue)),null(),"Added")
| eval OldValues=if(NewAudit="Added",null(),OldValues)
| eval NewValue=if(Audit="NoChange" AND isnotnull(OldValues),OldValues,if(Audit="Removed" AND isnotnull(OldValues),null(),NewValue))
| eval Audit=coalesce(NewAudit,Audit)
| fields Unique_Ident OldValues NewValue Audit
| fillnull value="" OldValues NewValue
| dedup Unique_Ident OldValues NewValue Audit

dural_yyz
Communicator

This is exactly what I needed.

My unique_ident was actually a collection of fields.  I just eval'd them together as a big string with a delim character that I can easily separate out post processing.

One issue that I will not worry too much about but if you have a hint would be good.  The values fields are text and can contain an "*" character.  Even if the value exists on both columns it is registering as "Added" and "Removed".  Because of the nuance I can live with it.  However, if I wanted to move this into a dashboard not all users might understand the mechanics.

Example

UniqueOldNew
transact-x*_ABCD_**_ABCD_*

Results

UniqueOldNewAudit
transact-x *_ABCD_*Added
transact-x*_ABCD_* Removed
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The * is being treated as a special character by the mvfind which is confusing the mvfind function and giving you false positives / false negatives. You could try replace() to change them to something else, then change them back afterwards?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...