Splunk Search

How do you write a regular expression to extract a field which has characters, numbers and also special characters?

Deepz2612
Explorer

How do you write a regular expression to extract a field which has characters, numbers and also special characters? There are sometimes spaces in between.

I tried this. rex "(?\w+[A-Z0-9][^-])" --- to include characters and hyphen,
but it doesnt work

Thanks in advance!!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi @Deepz2612

Try this, I included space and hyphen

([A-Za-z0-9*,\s-])

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kushagra9120
Explorer

this works for me :-

[\w\D]*

It would be better if you give the input data as well

0 Karma

vinod94
Contributor

hi @Deepz2612 ,

you can try this,

| rex "(?P<field_name>[a-zA-Z0-9\s].*)"
0 Karma

MoniM
Communicator

Hi @Deepz2612 ,

I tried this:-
([\w\D]+) for extracting "tirx-Ten @140gmail.com"

Thanks

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

\w includes digits, \D is non-digits. So combining those two means you match basically anything.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

It would help if you would post some sample data and requirements on what you need to extract.

Regarding the regex you have: put it in on regex101.com and see the explanation of what it does, maybe that helps you spot the flaw.

Also: when posting code like that, please put it in between backticks: ` or use the 101010 button in the message editor toolbar to post it as a code snippet, so special characters don't disappear.

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi @Deepz2612

Try this, I included space and hyphen

([A-Za-z0-9*,\s-])

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...