Splunk Search

How do you trigger an alert using stats count to return 0 when value is 0?

markhvesta
Path Finder

I have an alert that is not triggering because there are no events occurring for one of my search parameters. I would like to trigger when there are less than 10 events for "OtherChannelWithNoEvents", but when there are no events, no results are found for it and it is not triggered.

Here is the search:

sourcetype="databasesourcetype" 
|  eval Channel = case(ChannelCD == 3, "CSR", ChannelCD == 58 AND PartnerChannelDescriptor = "COR", "OtherChannelWithNoEvents")
| stats count by Channel
| search (Channel = OtherChannelWithNoEvents count <10)
OR (Channel = CSR count <200)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Keep the same trigger condition and try this version of search (the appendpipe will add a rows when there is no data from stats. We use that row in your filter)

sourcetype="databasesourcetype" 
 |  eval Channel = case(ChannelCD == 3, "CSR", ChannelCD == 58 AND PartnerChannelDescriptor = "COR", "OtherChannelWithNoEvents")
 | stats count by Channel
 | appendpipe [| stats count | where count=0 | eval Channel="No_Records"]
 | search (Channel = OtherChannelWithNoEvents count <10)
 OR (Channel = CSR count <200) OR (Channel="No_Records")
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What's your trigger condition? Do you also want to trigger alert when your base search doesn't have any results?

0 Karma

markhvesta
Path Finder

Trigger is count > 1 and Yes.

It is a low volume alert, so when Either of those two channels is lower than a certain threshold, even 0 it should trigger an alert.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...