Splunk Search

How do i merge rex command to accommodate different set of events coming from same source ?

georgear7
Communicator

I have below 3 different set of events coming from same source. So i have extracted the field using rex command for each type of event. This is working fine when i use each 'rex' command separately. But when i combine all 3 rex commands, it's giving me 0 results. Is there any way to fix this ?

host01u,UAT,2300970,app.rmkb.hk-122,,Deployment Success
host01u,UAT,2319971,app.bww.label-34,HOLD,Deployment Success
host02u,UAT,2319237,app.static-540,No_File

My Query:
index=foo source=status.list
| rex field=_raw "(?<Server>\w+.*)\,(?<Environment>\w+.*)\,(?<Req>\d+.*)\,(?<Package>\w+.*)\,(?<Command>)\,(?<Deploy_Status>\w+.*)"
| rex field=_raw "(?<Server>\w+.*)\,(?<Environment>\w+.*)\,(?<Req>\d+.*)\,(?<Package>\w+.*)\,(?<Command>\w+.*)\,(?<Deploy_Status>\w+.*)"
| rex field=_raw "(?<Server>\w+.*)\,(?<Environment>\w+.*)\,(?<Req>\d+.*)\,(?<Package>\w+.*)\,(?<Deploy_Status>\w+.*)"
| stats latest(*) as * by Server,Environment,Package
| table Server,Environment,Req,Package,Deploy_Status
| dedup Server,Environment,Req,Package,Deploy_Status
| stats count by Deploy_Status

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this single rex

| rex "^(?<Server>[^\,]+)\,(?<Environment>[^\,]+)\,(?<Req>[^\,]+)\,(?<Package>[^\,]+)\,(?<Command>[^\,]*)(|\,(?<Deploy_Status>[\w\s]*))$"
0 Karma

georgear7
Communicator

@ITWhisperer Thanks for your reply. This is working fine when i get all 3 types of events. But there are times in which i will get only below type of event. In this case, the given rex command is not working. Can you advise ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The expression works with the string when used in regex101.com. Please can you post your query as you have it at the moment?

0 Karma

georgear7
Communicator

Below is my current query.

index=foo source=status.list
| rex "^(?<Server>[^\,]+)\,(?<Environment>[^\,]+)\,(?<Req>[^\,]*)\,(?<Package>[^\,]+)(|\,(?<Command>[^\,]*))(|\,(?<Deploy_Status>[\w\s]*))$"
| stats latest(*) as * by Server,Environment,Package
| table Server,Environment,Req,Package,Deploy_Status
| dedup Server,Environment,Req,Package,Deploy_Status
| stats count by Deploy_Status

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You put in some extra characters which weren't in my suggestion

| rex "^(?<Server>[^\,]+)\,(?<Environment>[^\,]+)\,(?<Req>[^\,]*)\,(?<Package>[^\,]+)(|\,(?<Command>[^\,]*))(|\,(?<Deploy_Status>[\w\s]*))$"

0 Karma

georgear7
Communicator

Your suggestion didn't help me to capture below type of events. So i have done those changes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...