Splunk Search

How do I write a regular expression to return a matching pattern in my logs?

pradjswl
Explorer

Any string starting with COLDAPP , ending with double colon, would be a Tx id in my logs. it can be at the beginning/middle/end as the logs are not fully structured always. How do i write a regex to return a matching pattern starting with a COLDAPP and ends with double colon, excluding the double colon in returned pattern.

Example of log:

BaseProcessor pool-62-thread-84 - COLDAPP_WS_780144376_148455147959900002_pbv14slm2_12910::3tWofZ2Bb

I am trying

COLDAPP(?P.*?)::

it returns

_WS_780144376_148455147959900002_pbv14slm2_12910

How do i return

COLDAPP_WS_780144376_148455147959900002_pbv14slm2_12910

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Solution

dtregonning_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

sorry @pradjswl looks like the comment interpreted my text as html. Here is a screenshot showing the regex
alt text

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dtregonning_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

sorry @pradjswl looks like the comment interpreted my text as html. Here is a screenshot showing the regex
alt text

0 Karma

pradjswl
Explorer

great, that works 🙂

0 Karma

dtregonning_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

(COLDAPP?P.*)::

dtregonning_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hmm, im not sure @pradjswl. Look for any trailing or leading spaces. here is a screenshot of what i had.

alt text

0 Karma

pradjswl
Explorer

@dtregonning_splunk how/where do i specify the name of extracted filed in this format ? on regex portal it does return the correct value. How would this work in splunk, as I understand we need to specify the extracted filed name in the query it self with triangular bracket. I tried putting triangular bracket in the query but getting syntax error.

0 Karma

dtregonning_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

(?COLDAPP?P.*)::

replace field_name_xxx to whatever you would like to call the extraction field.

0 Karma

pradjswl
Explorer

@dtregonning_splunk some how splunk comment omits the fieldname while we comment. I see it was omitted in the question I posted, and the response you are posting. It would be a great if you can post a screenshot with field name.

I truly appreciate your help.

By the way how much point do i need to earn before I can start posting images in the comment?

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@pradjswl - 60 Karma points are required to attach files. Here's a general outline of how to earn Karma points on Answers as well as how much Karma is required in order to unlock certain site capabilities.

0 Karma

pradjswl
Explorer

@dtregonning_splunk somwhow its not working. I am trying my query on regex101.com. Is there anything wrong I would b doing ?

PS: I was trying to attach a snap, but i got message I would need more karma point to attach image in the post.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...