Splunk Search

How do I plot a static value over time that is derived from the total count as an overlay on the count per day?

trem

I'd like to plot in a timechart the count of events over the last 30 days.
In addition to this, I'd like another line which plots a line over the same period from a static value which is derived from the total of counts over the last month / 22.

Whilst I have no problem displaying the count of events over 30 days, I'm unsure as to how to plot a static value (ie. calculate a static value and plot it against all times as a threshold).

The following displays the average based on monthly count.

[[search>]] earliest=-30d@d latest=@d 
| bucket _time span=1d | stats count as Volume by _time | rename _time As Date | eval Date = strftime(Date, "%a, %b %d")
| eventstats avg(Volume) as "Threshold Volume" | rename Volume as "Daily Volume"

alt text

However I actually want the 'Threshold Volume' to instead be derived from Volume / 22.

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

| bucket _time span=1d | stats count as Volume by _time | rename _time As Date | eval Date = strftime(Date, "%a, %b %d")
| eventstats sum(Volume) as "Threshold Volume" | eval "Threshold Volume"='Threshold Volume' / 22| rename Volume as "Daily Volume"

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

| eventstats sum(Volume) as "Threshold Volume" | eval "Threshold Volume"='Threshold Volume' / 22| rename Volume as "Daily Volume"

trem

Thanks. That did the trick.

0 Karma

tom_frotscher
Builder

Hi,

just add this to the end of your current search:

... | eval "new Threshhold" = 'Threshold Volume' / 22

This simply calculates the value you want and puts it in a new field.
If you want the total Volume / 22 instead of the avg Volume / 22 as Threshold you need to change the avg in your eventstats to sum.

Greetings

Tom

0 Karma

trem

Thanks Tom. Replacing avg() with sum() worked.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...