Splunk Search

How do I only extract one instance of a certain field that appears in multiple logs of different formats?

akhilchhugani

If I have log files with multiple logs in them of different formats, and I only want to receive one instance of the Login_ID, though it occurs multiple times in the file in different logs, therefore they will all have the same sourcetype. I currently have the Login_Success_ID:1234545 in this format and want to use the field extractor to get this value because I only want the users that were able to log in, that is why I want one instance of the userid in the whole log file. Could someone explain how I could do this with the field extractor or if I need to change the format of the log file itself?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Just create a field extraction that works and if it is creating multi-valued fields, use Login_Success_ID=mvindex(Login_Success_ID,0) to get the first one.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...