Splunk Search

How do I increase the limit on events returned when using cli search?

SK110176
Path Finder

When running a splunk search from the cli, the maximum number of events returned is 100. How do I increase this limit?

Tags (3)
3 Solutions

V_at_Splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

-maxout 999 (or your preferred number)

View solution in original post

Marcin
Explorer

I think what you are looking for is "-maxout NUM", which changes the limit of returned results from 100 to NUM.

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

New in 4.1, you can set -maxout 0, which means "unlimited." This is useful for streaming data to another processing system or to a file.

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

New in 4.1, you can set -maxout 0, which means "unlimited." This is useful for streaming data to another processing system or to a file.

kevintelford
Path Finder

Awesome!

:)

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

csv is unlimited in 4.2. table remains limited.

0 Karma

kevintelford
Path Finder

As of 4.1.5 using -maxout 0 will yield unlimited results if your -ouput flag is set to 'raw' or 'rawdata', if it is set to 'csv' or 'table' it will be limited to 50k (plus one line for the header).

0 Karma

Marcin
Explorer

I think what you are looking for is "-maxout NUM", which changes the limit of returned results from 100 to NUM.

V_at_Splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

-maxout 999 (or your preferred number)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...