Splunk Search

How do I display the content from my search results table in a scatter or D3 chart?

rajgowd1
Communicator

Hi,

I have a search which displays content in a table format. Here is the search and I would like to show them in scatter chart or in D3.
alt text

index=myindex  mess_type=OUT origin=* org_name=* env=* (app_name=cap-demo-test OR app_name=nem-cap-bat OR app_name=nem-cap-pag) | eval newmsg="UPDATE" | rex field=fullmsg "(?CRASHED|STARTED|STOPPED)" | table app_name, time, source_instance, newmsg | sort app_name, time, source_instance, newmsg
0 Karma
1 Solution

dbcase
Motivator

Hmmmm well a couple of thoughts

Have you tried formatting the timechart as a multi-series? This way each series is on a chart of it's own. Might be easier to understand that way.

Another option would be to try a Horizon Chart (its a Splunkbase add on - https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3117/)

What is it in particular that the manager doesn't understand?

View solution in original post

dbcase
Motivator

Hmmmm well a couple of thoughts

Have you tried formatting the timechart as a multi-series? This way each series is on a chart of it's own. Might be easier to understand that way.

Another option would be to try a Horizon Chart (its a Splunkbase add on - https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3117/)

What is it in particular that the manager doesn't understand?

rajgowd1
Communicator

HI,thanks for your response.
i tried multi-series.its better now.

and i tried Horizon chart but they were using search something like timechart useother="f" span=1d limit=10 latest(open) by ticker_symbol

but i am not sure how can i write my query to fit into horizon chart.

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Yea that is one limitation of the Horizon chart, it will only graph 10 Y axis values.

Glad to hear multi-series helped!!!

0 Karma

rajgowd1
Communicator

thank you.i do not see accept button.
where can i accept this answer?

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Just converted it to an answer

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi rajgowd1,
the best way to do what you want is to download and install the Splunk 6.x dashboard Examples App (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/), in which is fully described with an example how to create a scatter chart.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

rajgowd1
Communicator

Hi,
i gone through the dashboard examples but it does'not have the chart like i mentioned in my question.

is there a way we can show time in x-axis and state in y-axis?

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Would using timechart work?

0 Karma

rajgowd1
Communicator

HI,
here is the data i am displaying in table format.i can use timechart but it is not giving all below 4 fields in chart(any) format.

can we represent below table in any kind of chart?

app_name time source_instance newmsg
ccp-demo-test 2016-12-24T22:33:17Z 1 STOPPED
ccp-demo-test 2016-12-24T22:33:18Z 0 STARTED
ccp-demo-test 2016-12-25T17:48:03Z 1 STOPPED
ccp-demo-test 2016-12-25T17:48:04Z 2 STARTED
ccp-demo-test 2016-12-27T16:19:07Z 2 STOPPED

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

What if you concatenated the four fields (or a subset)?

i.e.

eval variable1=field1." - ".field2

and then used variable1 as the group by with the timechart

i.e.

your search | timechart count by variable1

Would something like that work?

0 Karma

rajgowd1
Communicator

HI,
it works and i understand but higher manager doesn't understand this representation.

is there any alternate way to represent

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...