Splunk Search

How do I create a host name from two matches with host_regex?

kevlar0
Engager

If I'm gathering data from /data/"folder"/"subfolder" and want to make the host = "folder"-"subfolder", is this possible to do with host_regex?

Obviously I can get "folder" or "subfolder" trivially, but I can't figure out a way to append both of those strings together.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

You can easily get "folder/subfolder", but I don't know how to change the "/" to a "-" in inputs.conf

host_regex = "/data/(.*?/.*?)/"

If you really, really must have a "-", you will have to do it at parsing time on the indexer (or heavy forwarder):

props.conf

[yoursourcetypehere]
TRANSFORMS-rh = rename_host

transforms.conf

[rename_host]
SOURCE_KEY=MetaData:Host
REGEX=(.*?)/(.*)
DEST_KEY=MetaData:Host
FORMAT=host::$1-$2

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

You can easily get "folder/subfolder", but I don't know how to change the "/" to a "-" in inputs.conf

host_regex = "/data/(.*?/.*?)/"

If you really, really must have a "-", you will have to do it at parsing time on the indexer (or heavy forwarder):

props.conf

[yoursourcetypehere]
TRANSFORMS-rh = rename_host

transforms.conf

[rename_host]
SOURCE_KEY=MetaData:Host
REGEX=(.*?)/(.*)
DEST_KEY=MetaData:Host
FORMAT=host::$1-$2

kevlar0
Engager

Thanks! I'd suspected I'd need to use transforms, but was hoping I could still do it with inputs.conf.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...