Splunk Search

How do I convert results to an X-Y table?

claatu
Explorer

I have query results that look like this:

Risk      Age     Total
High     gt30    16
High     gt60      3
High     gt90   184
Low      gt30      4
Low      gt60    42
Low      gt90     84

I want it to be in this X-Y table format where X is Age and Y is Risk:

alt text

And note that there is no result for Med risk, but that has to be accounted for in the end formatted table as zeroes.

How the Splunk do I get that to happen?

Alternatively, I can get the results in this form, with zeroes for Med:
alt text

But then, how do you convert that into the desired X-Y table format?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@claatu

Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH
| table Risk Age Total
| append [|makeresults| eval Risk="High,Med,Low",Risk=split(Risk,","),Age="gt30,gt60,gt90",Age=split(Age,","),order="1,3,2",order=split(order,",") | mvexpand Risk] | fillnull value=0 Total 
| chart sum(Total) over Risk by Age |eval priority = if (Risk="High",1,if(Risk="Med",2,if(Risk="Low",3,4)))| sort priority | fields - priority

My Sample search:

| makeresults 
| eval data="High gt30 16|High gt60 3|High gt90 184|Low gt30 4|Low gt60 42|Low gt90 84|Med gt90 8" , data=split(data,"|") 
| mvexpand data 
| eval Risk=mvindex(split(data," "),0),Age=mvindex(split(data," "),1),Total=mvindex(split(data," "),2) 
| table Risk Age Total
| append [|makeresults| eval Risk="High,Med,Low",Risk=split(Risk,","),Age="gt30,gt60,gt90",Age=split(Age,","),order="1,3,2",order=split(order,",") | mvexpand Risk] | fillnull value=0 Total 
| chart sum(Total) over Risk by Age |eval priority = if (Risk="High",1,if(Risk="Med",2,if(Risk="Low",3,4)))| sort priority | fields - priority

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@claatu

Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH
| table Risk Age Total

My Sample search:

| makeresults 
| eval data="High gt30 16|High gt60 3|High gt90 184|Low gt30 4|Low gt60 42|Low gt90 84|Med gt90 8" , data=split(data,"|") 
| mvexpand data 
| eval Risk=mvindex(split(data," "),0),Age=mvindex(split(data," "),1),Total=mvindex(split(data," "),2) 
| table Risk Age Total

Thanks

0 Karma

claatu
Explorer

Wow, that works! Is there a way to make it sort like this:
High
Med
Low

instead of
High
Low
Med

?

0 Karma

claatu
Explorer

Figured it out.

| eval sort_field=case(Risk="High",1, Risk="Med",2, Risk="Low",3) | sort sort_field | fields Risk gt30 gt60 gt90

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

Yes you can create a new field and assign numbers to it at the end of your code, add this -

eval priority = if (risk="High",1,if(risk="Medieum",2,if(risk="Low",3,4)))| sort priority | fields - priority

Vijeta
Influencer

If you have this data
Risk Age Total
High gt30 16
High gt60 3
High gt90 184
Low gt30 4
Low gt60 42
Low gt90 84

you can have query as chart sum(total) by risk age

0 Karma

claatu
Explorer

This method does not produce a zero result for the Med column.

0 Karma

vinaykata
Path Finder

can you post the query you're using now

0 Karma

claatu
Explorer

It's really long and involved so I don't want to post that here. But if you want to experiment you can just create a lookup table per the results I first mentioned (or the alternative results), and do an |inputlookup on it and go from there.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...