Splunk Search

How do I construct a search for the average per day of the week, with my day of the week starting on Sunday?

christopheryu
Communicator

I am trying to chart the average per day of the week (mon, tue, wed, etc) but unable to do it with the days arranged in sequence i.e., Sun, Mon, Tue, etc.

I have the following search with the days of the week in order but it shows the total per day of week:

search | eval date_wday=strftime(_time,"%w-%A") | chart count by date_wday

I found this search for average per day of the week but can't make it to work with the above for the days to be in sequence:

search | bin span=1d _time | stats count dc(_time) as days by date_wday | eval average_count = count / days

Any help would be highly appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

search | eval date_wday=strftime(_time,"%w-%A") | bin span=1h _time | stats count by date_wday _time | stats avg(count) as avg_by_day by date_wday

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This should do it

search | eval date_wday=strftime(_time,"%w-%A") | chart count by date_wday | eventstats count as days | eval average_count = count / days
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

search | eval date_wday=strftime(_time,"%w-%A") | bin span=1h _time | stats count by date_wday _time | stats avg(count) as avg_by_day by date_wday

christopheryu
Communicator

Perfect, this works, thank you very much sir! Just needed to change bin span from 1h to 1d. I'm pretty sure a lot of splunk users will be able to use your answer as it can be applied to basically any search with the same requirement as mine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...