Splunk Search

How do I better understand the noise/static?

talbot7
Path Finder

Having fun with temperature sensors inside of bee hives. In the attached picture, BaitHive2, yellow, has more noise/static then the rest of the hives. I have replaced the sensor and confirmed that the problem is the bee's, not hardware. 🙂

I am not even sure how to ask this one. How would I extract the noise/static as a value? Something like signal to noise ratio, or standard deviation?

Here is my current search code:

index=beemonitor Temp AND HWID=* HWID=FE:FE:C5:0E:84:DC:AD:48 
| regex _raw="HWID=\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w\sUUID=\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w\sTemp=\w*.\w*"  
| where Temp > -55 | eval TempF = ((Temp*9)/5)+32 
| timechart span=30m limit=32 eval(round(avg(TempF),2)) by UUID 
| rename 28:E3:32:E8:03:00:00:D8 as BaitHive1 
| rename 28:4B:5B:E8:03:00:00:C7 as HexAHive 
| rename 28:30:4F:E8:03:00:00:C4 as BaitHive2 
| rename 28:4D:43:E8:03:00:00:37 as BaitHive3 
| rename 28:B4:4C:E8:03:00:00:BC as BaitHive4 
| rename 28:43:97:CD:02:00:00:3F as Outside 
| fields - NULL
Tags (2)
1 Solution

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As per your response int he comments, you're looking for an overal signal-to-noise ratio across the time you searched.

If you define the signal-to-noise ratio as mean / standard deviation, then you can just pack it all into that eval function in the timechart command.

| timechart eval(round(avg(TempF), 2)) as hive, eval(round(avg(TempF), 2)/stdev(TempF)) as snr by UUID

However, this will mess up the rename thing you got going on. I'd suggest using eval case to deal with the renames earlier.

| eval UUID = case(
UUID=="28:E3:32:E8:03:00:00:D8", "BaitHive1", 
UUID=="28:4B:5B:E8:03:00:00:C7", "HexAHive" ,
UUID=="foo", "bar")

Where you'll need to still add the other values from your renames that you were using earlier.

After that, you can then use the timechart I put up above.

| regex _raw="HWID=\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w\sUUID=\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w:\w\w\sTemp=\w*.\w*"  
 | eval UUID = case(
 UUID=="28:4B:5B:E8:03:00:00:C7", "HexAHive",
 UUID=="foo", "bar")
 | timechart eval(round(avg(TempF), 2)) as hive, eval(round(avg(TempF), 2)/stdev(TempF)) as snr by UUID
 | fields - NULL

View solution in original post

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As per your response int he comments, you're looking for an overal signal-to-noise ratio across the time you searched.

If you define the signal-to-noise ratio as mean / standard deviation, then you can just pack it all into that eval function in the timechart command.

However, this will mess up the rename thing you got going on. I'd suggest using eval case to deal with the renames earlier.

| eval UUID = case(
UUID=="28:4B:5B:E8:03:00:00:C7", "HexAHive" ,
UUID=="foo", "bar")

Where you'll need to still add the other values from your renames that you were using earlier.

After that, you can then use the timechart I put up above.

| eval UUID = case(
 UUID=="28:4B:5B:E8:03:00:00:C7", "HexAHive",
 UUID=="foo", "bar")
 | fields - NULL

talbot7
Path Finder

Any one???

0 Karma

talbot7
Path Finder

Thanks for the link. I understand the math, I just dont know how to make the Splunk statement. 😞

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@talbot7 there are lots of ways to do this !

Do you want a SNR ratio at a point in time ? Overall ? Just for the BaitHive2 ?

0 Karma

talbot7
Path Finder

Overall at a per hive (UUID) level

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Alrighty. I submitted an answer but it has to get approved because I put a link to wikipedia in it haha 😠 but the gist is

... timechart eval(avg(round(TempF, 2)) as hive, eval(avg(round(TempF,2)/stdev(TempF))) as snr by UUID

plus a little extra for the renames.

0 Karma

ErikaE
Communicator

Found this while searching around for sensor data examples.

Looks like you could calculate a signal to noise ratio over time and compare that for your various hives. I'm new to splunk and not sure how you'd implement it, but here's a quick mathematical primer on noise:

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~toh/spectrum/SignalsAndNoise.html#Measuring

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...