Splunk Search

How do I assign an extracted field from a subsearch to be the source in an outer search?

pmaitra
Explorer

I have a search from which I extracted field A. In the second search, how do I assign A to be the source of the second search?

For example :
I am using the below query:

index=something  host=somevalue source=something/something/something/something/A    B  [search eventtype=somevalue | table A | dedup A | fields + A] | table B

From the above query what I am expecting is :

My subsearch will return field A.
My outer search will use field A as a source in which I will get result B .

Please help me out with this.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

*UPDATED*

index=something  host=somevalue  [search eventtype=somevalue | table A | dedup A | eval A="x/x/x/x/".A | rename A as source ] | table B

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

Do you expect single value for field A or multiple?

gokadroid
Motivator

If you want to search the values stored in field A from internal search as strings in your outer search and then tabulate the field B in outer search then give this a try please (Notice I have removed plain B from this search in outer search:

index=something host=something source=x/x/x/A  
[search index=something host=something source=y/y/y/y | table A | dedup A | return 10000 $A ] 
| table B

Here both A and B are field names. In your comment's example, searching for a field B just by placing the field name B in outer search won't help which I quote below:

index=something host=something source = x/x/x/A B [search index=something host=something source=y/y/y/y | table A | dedup A | fields + A ] | table B

It should be B=something in the outer search of your comment.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

*UPDATED*

index=something  host=somevalue  [search eventtype=somevalue | table A | dedup A | eval A="x/x/x/x/".A | rename A as source ] | table B

pmaitra
Explorer

Hey Sundareshr thanks!

I used your updated query and got exactly what I want the source to be in my outer query. But unfortunately it is still resulting in 0 events. Please help if you have any other way out!

0 Karma

pmaitra
Explorer

Thank you very much for showing me the correct path. The only change I did is I added fields + A and then renamed A as source as suggested by you and it worked magically . Thank you very very much.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...