Splunk Search

How can I tag or mark _internal events from different environments?

sniderwj
Explorer

We have a requirement to collect data from testing enclaves (that have copies of production devices) to our primary Splunk environment. I have event data going to a separate index through a heavy forwarder. What I am concerned about is the Internal index. I will need to track if I have Splunk UFs on clients in the enclave. Is there a way to mark or tag the data coming through the Heavy Forwarder to indicate that it is coming from that testing environment?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

One of the options you have is to add a metadata field to the events, which will require you to update forwarder configuration whenever a host moves between environments. Here is an answer that describes the process.

An alternative approach is to create (and - the tricky part - maintain) a lookup file that maps host names to enclave at search time.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do the UFs on Testing enclaves follow any particular naming conventions (basically how can you differentiate a UF from Primary vs UF from testing enclave)? How are those UF's receiving configurations, deployment servers or direct?

0 Karma

sniderwj
Explorer

The flow of data from the Enclave is UF --> Heavy Forwarder --> Production Splunk --> Enclave Specific Index

They are copying devices into the enclave from production so we will have duplicate names (host names and domain names) between the enclaves and in production.

I guess the easiest place would be to hit the events at the HF layer but I'm unsure how I can do that.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Can you try the dbinspect command? Following is a sample which may suit your need.

| dbinspect index=_internal 
| stats sum(eventCount) as eventCount by splunk_server

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...