Splunk Search

How can I monitor user activity pattern search?

AL3Z
Builder

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the query  to identify when users are connecting to the VPN or not.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

@yuanliu 
I apologize for not providing adequate clarification earlier.

Actually when user is on VPN you will see below events

Okta + cisco or Anyconnect

when user is on on-prem you will see only one event

Okta

When user logon from office he is on okta other than office he logon via vpn i.e okta+vpn
  if there are multiple occurrences of logon on the same day  then it should show on -prem & vpn .

*with out okta connecting to vpn is not possible *

Thanks

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Actually when user is on VPN you will see below events

Okta + GP or Anyconnect

when user is on on-prem you will see only one event

Okta

I interpret this as the 2nd scenario in my previous post.  Have you tried this?

index=xyz sourcetype=Okta* ((eventType=user.* displayMessage = "User single sign on to app")
  OR (targetAppAlternateId = "cisco*" OR targetAppAlternateId = "anyconnect*) earliest=-30d
| eval logon = case(match(displayMessage, "User single sign on to app"), "Okta", match(targetAppAlternateId, "anyconnect|Cisco"), "VPN")
| bin span=1d@d _time
| stats values(logon) as logon by _time userid
| eval connectivity_type = if(logon == "Okta", if(logon == "VPN", "VPN", "On-prem"), "none")

(I removed the anomaly handling but otherwise it's the same.)  Please post output if differs from desired results (with illustration of desired results), also illustrate raw events. (If anonymized, make sure to validate JSON.  The first posted sample is invalid.)

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is not immediately clear which field will indicate connection to Okta and which that to Cisco/Anyconnect.  So the following will just perform a match with _raw.  The best would be to narrowly match designated fields. (One reason this is unclear is because the sample data you give is no longer valid JSON because of some inaccuracy during your anonymization.  It would help if you can diagnose JSON, or at the minimum use a pretty print before doing anonymization so volunteers can make an educated guess.  But in this problem, it shouldn't matter too much because you already know which fields are of interest.)

<your search> earliest=-30d
| eval connect_state = if(match(_raw, "okta"), if(match(_raw, "cisco|anyconnect"), "VPN", "On-prem"), "none")
| timechart span=1d@d values(connect_state) as connect_state

Is this something you are looking for?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...