Splunk Search

How can I limit the results of a stats values() function?

thisissplunk
Builder

I want to list about 10 unique values of a certain field in a stats command. I cannot figure out how to do this. I figured stats values() would work, and it does... but I'm getting hundred of thousands of results. I only want the first ten!

Of course, a top command or simple head command won't work because I need the values of a field, keyed off of another field.

Example:

index=* | stats values(IPs) count by hostname

I want the first ten IP values for each hostname. NOT all (hundreds) of them! Imagine a crazy dhcp scenario. I'm also open to other ways of displaying the data.

1 Solution

thisissplunk
Builder

I've figured it out. You need to use a mvindex command to only show say, 1 through 10 of the values() results:

| stats values(IP) AS unique_ip_list_sample dc(IP) AS actual_unique_ip_count count as events by hostname 
| eval unique_ip_list_sample=mvindex(unique_ip_value_sample, 0, 10)
| sort -events

View solution in original post

pj
Contributor

If you have multiple fields that you want to chop (i.e. to show a sample across all) you can also use something like this:

| stats values(*) as *
| foreach * [eval <<FIELD>>=mvindex('<<FIELD>>',0,10)]

benton
Path Finder

That's clean! Here's a small enhancement:

| foreach * [eval <<FIELD>>=if(mvcount('<<FIELD>>')>10, mvappend(mvindex('<<FIELD>>',0,9),"..."), '<<FIELD>>')]

This will display the first 10 values and if there are more than that it will display a "..." making it clear that the list was truncated.

kartikaykv1
Explorer

Excellent Job!!!

0 Karma

CSmoke
Path Finder

Thanks, the search does exactly what I needed.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this
index=* | stats values(IPs) a ip by hostname | mvexpand ip | streamstats count by host | where count<=10 | stats values(ip) as IPs by host

thisissplunk
Builder

That's what I was thinking initially, but I don't want to actually filter any events out, which is what the "where" does.

0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

I've figured it out. You need to use a mvindex command to only show say, 1 through 10 of the values() results:

| stats values(IP) AS unique_ip_list_sample dc(IP) AS actual_unique_ip_count count as events by hostname 
| eval unique_ip_list_sample=mvindex(unique_ip_value_sample, 0, 10)
| sort -events

sjbriggs
Path Finder

Great solution. I was able to get my top 10 bandwidth users by business location and URL after a few modifications.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...