Splunk Search

How can I find results only iff the previous queries returns results?

yk010123
Path Finder

I calculate the requests per second for my application using the following query: 

method!=GET process="start"
| timechart count by region limit=0
| timechart per_second(*)

I also calculate the number of errors my application is producing using the following separate query

process=end AND status=500
| timechart count

I am trying to find a query that will answer when my application "breaks", or in other words, what is the requests per second that causes my application to have more than N errors

Labels (4)
0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @yk010123 

It usually easier to help when there are some example events provided, but based on what you've shown in the SPL something like this should work

(method!=GET process="start") OR (process=end AND status=500)
| eval region=coalesce(region, "none") ``` account for end event not having a region ```
      ,type=if(process="start", "start", "end")
| stats count BY _time type region
| timechart span=1m
    sum(eval(type="start")) AS start
    sum(eval(type="end")) AS end
  BY region

One query that combines the results into one table/graph.

Hope it helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...